• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor had carbon build up

tacklejunkie

I got my boat back today and it runs great now but the mechanic said I had too many idling hours on it and it had a lot of carbon build up. I have trolled a lot with this motor . It has ran great but I did have  this recent issue with it where I had to bring it in and it runs good now. Mechanic recommended run it more often at higher rpm's.  For those that troll with their main engine,  how often do you run in a higher rpm's? I  use carbon guard  and thought that that would prevent the carbon buildup.  If I trolled for three or four hours at a higher RPM would that be too much ?  

we have the 4.6 merc and found it bogged down until we popped new plugs in and it ran like a champ.  This boat sees well over 75-80% of its time trolling, but throttles down when we first go out each time.  Might be a different beast but in most motors hammering down once or twice each time you use it should be enough to keep things clean as long as your running non oxy gas.

9 hours ago, rl_sd said:

What kind of oil are you running? A full synthetic is going to burn a lot cleaner. Other options are to put in a little hotter multi-electrode set of plugs

Good point. Are there even still Dino 2 cycle oils left? I think most are semi-syns, even the bargain brands. I ran nothing but synthetics, bought at a big  box store they aren't spendy at all....and most carry Johnson/Evinrude, Merc Quicksilver, etc.

Take a look at your brand plugs too....some seem to burn better in a 2 cycle, like NGK's. That learned from years of racing /tuningYamaha motorcycles.

On 7/31/2017 at 7:35 AM, leech~~ said:

Use my main for trolling, 75hp Merc.  Always have used a "low Ash" semi-syn oil.  New plugs ever spring and give her a good run after prolong trolling.

Is that a four stroke or two-stroke

Edited by tacklejunkie

I’m revisiting this thread because of a conversation I had with another fisherman. 

He told me that running it for 15 to 20 minutes wide-open alone should be enough to prevent carbon build up. He said prolonged use of things like ring free or carbon guard can actually dissolve any seals  over time

Is this true or was he just talking out of his one-just-like-silly-me?

On 8/4/2018 at 6:42 PM, tacklejunkie said:

I’m revisiting this thread because of a conversation I had with another fisherman. 

He told me that running it for 15 to 20 minutes wide-open alone should be enough to prevent carbon build up. He said prolonged use of things like ring free or carbon guard can actually dissolve any seals  over time

Is this true or was he just talking out of his one-just-like-silly-me?

Sounds like urban legend to me, but I don't really know.  Is there anything in the manual about carbon and the use of fuel additives?  Might  might be worth an email to brp also.