• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stuffed pepper recipe

Not sure if you saw my making Sarmas post but I stuff green peppers with the same meat which is 1/2 ground ham 1/2 ground pork with some white rice salt pepper and garlic mixed in. A lot of people just use burger to. I pour a can or 2 of tomatoe soup over them and bake for about an hour.

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1033 (1).JPG

My wife is the one who makes them so I have no recipes. I figured the original poster was looking for some first hand experience, not google results. 

The only thing I can say as a tip is that I suggested to her to substitute our homemade salsa for the canned tomatoes she was using in her recipe. IMHO this has been a big improvement, give's them a bit of snap.

When I make stuffed green peppers I just use pork sausage like jimmy dean or venison sausage that I made. Brown the sausage and mix in cream cheese. I've also added sauerkraut, mushrooms,and various cheeses. I normally just scour the fridge and see what I have on hand. I normally put shredded cheese on top and either throw on the grill or cook them in the oven. My personal favorite is the sausage and sauerkraut. 

Smoked Stuffed Pepper Recipe

*  1 lb ground beef or venison sausage (I prefer sausage)

*  1/4 cup diced jalapenos (optional)

*  Half pound diced, crispy bacon

*  2 cups of cooked white rice (instant is fine)

*  1 regular can of petite diced tomatoes, drained

*  1 small can of tomato sauce

*  2 eight oz bags of finely shredded cheese (Monterey Jack)

*  1 tsp onion powder

*  1 tsp garlic powder

*  Cajun seasoning to taste

*  8 large yellow peppers, halved, stemmed, ribbed and seeded (I cut these from the top straight down into two equal halves that smoke more uniformly)

Brown the beef/venison and add jalapenos until softened.  Drain extra grease, then add in bacon, cooked rice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spices.  Mix well.  Layer mixture in peppers with alternating layers of cheese. Hold off on adding the final layer of cheese until the last 20 minutes.

Smoke on an upper rack (with foil under the peppers) at 225 degrees for 2-3 hours or until pepper are soft and mixture is heated through. Alternately, you can smoke for 1.5 hours and cook 1 hour in an oven at 375 degrees if you're short on time.

***I like yellow (or orange) peppers as they are milder and pair well when smoked. You could use green peppers and skip the smoker and just cook in the oven at 375 until tender. I find green peppers get too bitter when smoked.

***This is obviously a larger batch that you can cut in half for just a few people.

Edited by pikestabber