• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jig Spin

eagle_3464

How are most of you eliminating or at least greatly reducing jig spin? Does an inline swivel 12" to 18" from the jig help?

I have mostly micro spinning reels but also an inline reel that is not any better than the spinning reels. If I jig lightly the spin is not so bad but the fish I am on, you need to jig aggressively until you get their attention. Once you have their attention, even so much as a twitch will turn them away. I really need to eliminate the jig spin created from jigging aggressively.

I'm going to try my reel with power pro next to see if there is improvement.

Great topic!!!  I dont have the answers but pulling line off your reel and stretching it helps, as does making sure your jig combo is rigged as straight as possible.  I havent tried the inline reel option much, the few ive used did not impress.  Again great post!  Looking forward to input from the savvy group we have here.

I notice the teardrop style jigs really spin on the way up.   My line can be wound up like a rubber band.

Then at every lift/jig you get one revolution.

Half the time I'm using plastics and if you don't get them on straight it'll really spin.  I've watches these things on the camera and cringe when they rotate when they should be sitting still.  

After you reel in let the jig spin and unwind while hanging with a few feet of line.  A good time to do that is when your moving to the next hole.

I'd rather not use a swivel because the sounder marks it and fish are attracted to it but its the lesser of evils.   The swivel helps but your still getting some spin.

Pause more often to let the jig unwind when there aren't any fish around.

I'd like to hear what others are doing.

If you watch anything like a leaf fall it spirals, when a jig falls it also spirals and twists the line, In line reels reduce coiling but I'm not sure what if anything that has to do with spin. Inline reel, power pro line, same thing, they should reduce coiling only. The swivel should eliminate spin but does not. Keepj igging also spoons seem to spin less-If someone has the answer let us know

Horizontal jigs seem to spin less for me. I also put new line on about every three or four times. Remember ice fishing you do not need to fill your spool. I do not use a swivel. My inlines help a lot with line twist. Also don't crank them jigs up so fast. I put 60 to maybe 90 feet of line on tops for my inlines. I have not been spoiled yet. 

So the jig falls and puts a twist into the line (not a coil) if you leave the jig sit it will spin out that twist. That spin will happen no matter what. Like to hear about a brand of swivel that would eliminate this, have not found it yet.

57 minutes ago, blue_healer_guy said:

Maybe an old wise tale but ive often heard you can eliminate spin with how you put line off the line reel to your pole reel?

I have also heard that. I believe I heard to start out on the bottoms of your reel.