• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is this legal

slammer

40 minutes ago, slammer said:

So it boils down to a license thing........?  My wife is not a lawyer but she stayed at a Holiday Inn last week so I refer all legal stuff to her.:P

Better being the slammer than being in the slammer I guess :grin:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/ohv.html

As you explore winter ATV riding, please remember that groomed, signed snowmobile trails are closed to OHVs and highway-licensed vehicles (HLVs) beginning December 1. Please respect private property and follow all signs.

57 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Not sure but I did get a chuckle out of a legal question asked by someone named Slammer:grin:

If I remember correctly they need to be registered as snowmobiles and not ATV's to be legal although personally I cannot see why it wouldn't be.

The dual tracks and width difference....they'd find a reason. 

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/ohv/ohv_regs.pdf

You may NOT ride • On the median of a four-lane highway. • Within the right-of-way of any interstate highway or freeway. • On the right-of-way between opposing lanes of traffic. • On grant-in-aid snowmobile trails. • On designated non-motorized trails. • At airports. • Below the ordinary high-water level of unfrozen public waters that are lakes, streams, rivers, and certain wetlands, or in calcareous fens. • On any frozen public waters where you don’t have legal access or where it is prohibited. • In any area restricted by local ordinances. • In a tree nursery or planting area. • on state forest lands that are posted or designated closed to motorized uses (see pages 22–26).

14 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

The dual tracks and width difference....they'd find a reason. 

Touche'

Edited by PurpleFloyd

Yea i kinda thought it would be a no go on trails.  It looks like a good alternative to a snowmobile.   They claim better performance with only two tracks and the skis help keep you up on top of snow.  Price is a bit less than buying 4 tracks.  Interesting.

7 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Take her for a run down a trail and let us know? :lol:

I think most of it is a width issue?

I don't have them.  Thinking about it though.  Don't have a sled so this would give me best of both.

http://twintrackworld.com/?page_id=18    ;)

11 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

They always reminded me of something they would have in a James Bond movie. 

I would think that with the emergence of the UTV market and all the Ice Castles that something like that modernized would really take the market by storm.

Why not? Drop in a 650 CC engine....let's get to work! 

1 hour ago, slammer said:

Yea i kinda thought it would be a no go on trails.  It looks like a good alternative to a snowmobile.   They claim better performance with only two tracks and the skis help keep you up on top of snow.  Price is a bit less than buying 4 tracks.  Interesting.

I don't have them.  Thinking about it though.  Don't have a sled so this would give me best of both.

That would be a great rig for ice fishing I would think. :)

1 hour ago, slammer said:

Another one .  Some guy in the neighborhood had one of these many years ago.  I think it was broke down more than it was driven.

i230570231802.jpg

The old twin track sleds were kind of cool but really hard to lean them when side hilling! Lol

I read that the reason the design was abandoned is the machines did well in the water and in soft ground or snow, but they didn't work out on dry land.

But to get the thread back on topic, I know Ski-Doo made at least two different models of twin tracked machines also - the Alpine and the Everest.

503 Everest:

Edited by swamptiger