• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Helix setup on ice

rundrave

Just picked up a Helix 5 with gps that I want to setup for ice fishing. I want to keep it simple and portable. I have seen lots of ideas just searching google using genz box's etc. I am not a fan of a soft pack setup but wont rule it out entirely either. Does any one else have any other ideas or want to share their setups?

I dont want to mount it to handle bars on atv etc. I just want something to run and gun and hole hop just like I would with a regular flasher? I am a very mobile on the ice so I move a lot. I want the ability to just pick up and go hole to hole.

When I bought my Helix 5 I picked it up with the portable package that came with the soft case and mount.  Works pretty well for me.  The soft case has a couple zipper sections to store the transducer, charger, etc.  

I have seen a few different DIY type set ups that probably work just fine as well but I prefer the self contained soft case approach.  I use it for both ice fishing and also from the canoe when paddling the BWCA and non-motorized local lakes.

I use lowrance and have the soft case ice packs. 

One question- have you used a graph unit in a run and gun situation before? I was just having a conversation with a friend about this the other week. He has always used a vexilar even though he has HB graph units and gets more fish with the vex. He is much more of a run and gunner and can drop in the ducer, turn a knob or so and be locked in.

I, OTOH am more if the sit back and relax type and don't move around as much. When I do, I Fing the graph sonar to be a liability as I need to dial in the sensitivity and color line every time I change structure and depth or it doesn't mark fish as well. We both agree that a round circle noisy spinny wheel thingy is better when you run and gun. Sitting back and relaxing a graph is nice because you can dial it in and have the chart for memory if you look away or if a fish is coming.

I have used a graph unit before on the ice it definitely has its pros and cons.. But the Helix 5 I just got also has an ice fishing mode and I expect it will be very similar to other flashers? Keep in mind also I have only been using a VX-1 for last several years on the ice so I am expecting the Helix5 will be a nice upgrade especially with the GPS and Navionics+ card.

I run and gun just to chase schools of perch and have to be very mobile to stay on top of them. During dusk and into the evening I often fish too shallow to run and gun so once I am setup I keep noise and light at a minimum.

I appreciate the feed back, right now leaning towards a homemade setup or the Genzbox would still love to hear what others are using also.

There are a few things. You can get a 5 gallon bucket,one of those padded lids and then make a holder out of a piece of pine just slightly smaller than the bottom of the bucket, make a handle as well out of pine in the theme of the gens box and add to it to suit your needs. If you don't need a seat use a 2.5 gallon bucket instead.

I've also seen some creative tackle box mods to hold them.