• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mild/Mildew on rods!

fishnhuntnboy

Soooooo I kinda left all my rods in the boat over the winter and when I opened the rod locker I saw the foam handles had white spots all over them. Well then looking into further I saw it all over the rod and then all the cork handle rods had them on them too. :/. What is the best way to clean all my rods and reels? I will most likely spray inside the compartment too just in case. Is there anything that will kill/clean all this and not bleach any rods or my new boat?

What sucks is I also have to clean the tow rope and a towel which these two I'm not to worried about as those should be able to throw in wash. 

Thanks

You can try a little dish soap and some bleach in a bucket of warm water.   You might test it first but I don't think it will take color off the rods.  Or in the paint or cleaning supplies department they sell mold and mildew remover.   Third alternative is an oxygen bleach like oxyclean or chlorox2.  Those tend to be easier on colors than chlorine bleach, but maybe not as good on mold. 

Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda or all three.  Vinegar kills over 80% of all species of mold.  Baking soda also kills some species and can be mixed with vinegar.  I always keep a spray bottle with vinegar for mold removal and it works well.  Don't need to worry about damaging the interior of your new boat and it will be safe on the rods.   

Mild bleach and water, vinegar, etc, as mentioned. You can use it on the cork handles, and then very lightly sand with fine sandpaper if it won't all come off. I've done that many times to my older rods when the cork is past "scrubbing clean". Makes 'em look like new, and it takes a very small amount of "sanding". This fall, when ya put stuff away again, hang a packet of this stuff in your boat. Mine sits covered inside a 40* garage during winter, and in the Spring the bag was full of absorbed moisture. I use it every year.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=damp+rid+moisture+absorber&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=33852797995&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12969555511630650127&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1huml0mod0_b