• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2015-16 nhl Playoffs

Bear55

Well we suck. 0-5 in last 5 games, pushes into the playoffs by an even worse Avs team. Parise might be done for the season, Vanek is out but maybe that is good? We get super offensive juggernaut Dallas, shine up those golf clubs boys.

On the plus side we haven't been eliminated yet and maybe Dubs can steal a game or two. Dallas has given up more goals this season than any other playoff team and at the very best are average in their own zone and in goal. If (BIG IF) we can find a way to shut down their big guns we can still make it a series. Time for the young guys to step up, in all honestly they do seem to take it up a notch in the playoffs but with everything going on I'm not expecting much from this team. Maybe they can surprise us.

The timing of these injuries is terrible. Parise, Vanek, Haula. Ugh. Haula has been one of our best players down the stretch and that certainly is going to hurt.

I don't have much optimism for this outcome and feel pretty much the same as you Bear, we might steal one, but I don't think there is much chance of getting out of the first round this year.

let's get the linesman to drop the puck 15 seconds sooner on face-offs.  Every face off in a teams offensive zone turns into a tattle tale conversation, talking from linesman, direction from the linesman, player gets kicked out and then the linesman drops the puck immediately like he should have before.  Drop the puck, let's go.  Both centers are going to cheat, they do cheat and what happens happens.  Also, punch 21 in the face.  We're getting 6 penalties a game anyway and the guy is already under everyone's skin and we're going to win one game in the series tops.  Let Granlund crosscheck him in the teeth and let Prosser fight him after.  

Edited by leechlake

Well at least we are trending in the right direction, however I'm not sure if we have what it takes to win 3 of the next 5 at least the games are much better than the game 1 fiasco. Game 4 is huge, win it or dust off the golf clubs.

Well elimination night is here, the effort has been there the past 3 games but the results not so much. Between our PK and Dallas seemingly getting a lucky bounce goal every game we are down 3-1. Not impossible to come back but we need to score more goals. Had a great first period last game but it was 0-0, have to take advantage against a team like Dallas who seems to score at will. Boys have to figure out how to score or Dubs has to steal one tonight.

I didn't understand that move either. It was done to bring more beef to the lineup with Dalpe and Gabriel, but you don't put either of those guys on the PK and when won of your PK guys actually gets a penalty you are screwed.

I would have liked to see Stoll stay in with Gabriel. Apparently the whole Gabriel deal was Fletch's idea. Torch had the ultimate decision, but Fletch brought it up.

I like the idea of some physical play, but bringing him in now I think was desperate and probably ill-advised.

It isn't that they have played bad, they are just out there in limited situations.

Well interesting series to say the least, pretty much a representation of our season as a whole, part sleep walking and part amazing hockey. We all kind of knew they would put up a fight this series even with Parise and Vanek out but man looking at the game now I sure wish they wouldn't have mailed it in the first two periods. Dallas always seemed to get that luck bounce goal in every game too, we manage to put one in our own net, Demers wanted to score one for us at the end but wow if that puck wasn't a centimeter from crossing the line.

That Dallas team has big time O but man I just don't seem them making the final with that back end unless they score 6 or 7 a night.

As for the wild, we are pretty much stuck with contracts for next season so unless there is a trade I expect everyone back. Pommers found life with Haula so hopefully he can still bring something next year. Vanek was ugly at times but is in the last year of his contract so not a big problem there. Will have to see who the new coach is, maybe Torch but I'm sure they are going to take a hard look around and pick as experienced coach, no clue who that might be.

There was a clear shot of that puck OVER the net, but conveniently the NBC broadcast kept stopping it one frame early. The puck was on edge and was over the line. Not counting the fact that Demers covered the puck in the crease (penalty shot), but that isn't reviewable. Still should have been a goal.

Regardless, it shouldn't have come down to it. This is what frustrates so many people. When we are on we could honestly beat anybody, but we tend to lose focus or start slow and we end up in a hole.

Well, here's to the offseason. We will see what kind of shakeup happens. I wouldn't be opposed to Torch staying. I don't think there are really any other good candidates out there so give him a shot.

We have some contracts that are killing us and hopefully Fletch (or our new GM) can creatively find a way to dispose of them.

Some things I was pleased with in this playoff series:

Granlund really elevated his game, but needs to become a finisher. I like him at wing vs center and wing is where he played in playoffs.

Koivu was captain clutch with some very key goals. Typically absent in playoffs from an offensive production standpoint, he really stepped up his game.

Pominville actually played very well. There were times I was seeing the same old Pominville out there who doesn't have the puck battles he should or capitalize on a key chance, but overall he played well.

Haula continued his strong play.

Displeased:

Dubnyk, up and down play. Some huge saves, but some real softies let it too. He has to reduce/eliminate those softies.

Prosser, he is just not good. It seemed like he was out there for every goal allowed. I know he wasn't, but it sure seemed like it.

Scandella, he regressed this year overall defensively and I thought, next to Prosser was our worst D Man in the playoffs.

Ya saw one pic where the puck was across, but it was at an angle instead of overhead and I think the puck was airborne a bit so I think it was messing with our eyes. No clue why they didn't show that next frame, however the goalie was moving his leg forward so I don't know that is was going to show us what we wanted to see, however the puck could have flipped up on edge and crossed the line, until we get the full video they had I don't know that we will ever see it.

This team is a mess IMO.  Suter hit the nail on the head in his Presser Friday when he said "this team has no stars"....no sheeite sherlock and him included. Most teams have a SuperStar or 2 and we don't even have one star. 

Up and down the lineup we are who we are...an average NHL hockey team....but our big negative is that we have few options to make us an above avg NHL team.  And Leopold showed he is not a hockey guy...he's a money guy...Fletch should be fired and Leo gives him his vote of confidence...what a joke.

I forgot to add that Zucker was probably an even bigger disappointment than the others I listed. How could I forget? What a letdown he was. Both coaches had faith in him and put him in the top 6 at times this year, but he just couldn't get it together.

I suspect wholesale changes in the offseason. I wouldn't be surprised to see some major trades shipping away some of our D men in the hopes to bring back some offense in return.

Edmonton is a likely candidate, but the only player I would be remotely interested in is Nugent-Hopkins (obviously McDavid isn't on the block). I don't think he is that great, but he has some size, is a Center which we need and certainly has skill where I think a change of scenery would help him.

I hope they find a way to keep Granlund at wing. I prefer to see Coyle play wing as well, but that means we are 2 Centers short right there. Maybe Graovac can make the jump next year. Hopefully no injuries again, that has plagued him.

Possible guys to trade: Dumba, Spurgeon (would have to be soon because he has a no move clause in 2nd year of his new deal), Olofsson (oft-injured, may not be able to trade him because he is hurt right now).

I suspect Vanek might get bought out. I wouldn't be shocked to see some sort of deal to move Pominville, but I don't know how much interest is out there.

We are in a tough spot cap-wise right now. There will not be any blockbuster free agent signings without significant changes to our current roster first.

SoI have two theories that I am very confident in.

1.  The whole "bring em back home" concept is killing us, Parise and Haula excluded.  These players that have gone off and lived elsewhere are coming back and becoming complacent.  They have it easy, their family is here, they are back home.  They have friends and family taking up their time so they have less focus on hockey.  Vanek for instance I am quite certain would rather be on his backyard rink playing with his kids most nights rather than giving it his all for the fans.  Homelife plays a huge part in the players productivity.  Sucker for instance, he fell off a cliff the moment he and his so to be bride donned the cover of that wedding magazine had naked.  Literally you can circle the date on the calendar and he disappeared.  I have no solution to offer for this home life theory but it carries water.  I think the moral of the story is, lets stay away from home grown boys at the twilight of their career. 

2. Zucker plays ice hockey with all the skill sets of the roller hockey player he grew up as.  Roller hockey is not a stop and start game.  It is not a physical game, it is a straightforward game with minimal edge work.  The puck handling skills are different, you need to maintain a strong forehand carry due to the pucks sliding characteristics.  Too late now but when you watch Zucker play next, notice how uncomfortable he looks on crossovers, he is capable but he would rather glide through the turns.  When he is on a break or in open ice notice that he carries the puck on his forehand side vs a one hand protected push with the puck in front of his body.  One hand push on ice, the pucks glides freely and should be used in nearly every open ice/break scenario to optimize speed. As a result, Zucker has his pocket picked on the forehand side more than any other player.  He is predictable and easily defended.  He only plays to his forehand side of the ice, force him to his back hand half of the ice and he will not get a scoring chance.  He is only useful when he can take advantage of his speed, breakaways.  I suspect the coaching staff was trying to turn him into a all around player and that pushed Zucker say from the only strength he truly has, breakaway speed.  On the plus side Haula went through he same thing (less the roller hockey tendencies) and he turned out.