• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone tried synthetic boat bunk covers?

Has anyone tried the synthetic boat bunk covers that are on the market now?  I need to replace the carpet on my boat bunks and am thinking about trying the synthetic.  I'm wondering if the weeds will not stick to the sythetic covers like it sticks to the carpet but I don't want to create issues with loading and unloading the boat.  I have an 18 foot Mirrocraft fish and ski.

Are you talking about the synthetic plates that mount to the bunks? If so; yes they do work for a while. but!  They wear down in time, and you have to check so the screw heads aren't sticking up. A friend tore the bottom of his Ranger up that way.  

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 7:12 PM, delmuts said:

Are you talking about the synthetic plates that mount to the bunks? If so; yes they do work for a while. but!  They wear down in time, and you have to check so the screw heads aren't sticking up. A friend tore the bottom of his Ranger up that way.  

Good info.

I placed them on my trailer about 5 years ago and like them for what I use them for. Basically, my application is to slide the rear of the boat a few inches after loading...for some reason my trailer is super narrow and it sits on the wheel wells so I have to slide it either direction a couple inches to center the boat.

I've also heard that you need to check them periodically to make sure the bolt head isn't sticking up or it can/will scrape the bottom of your boat.

None of my business I guess,   but some nylon carpet is pretty cheap stuff.  Why go looking for trouble with these "imitation" trailer carpet pieces. And it strikes me that nylon carpet would be slicker and more durable.

2 hours ago, Ufatz said:

None of my business I guess,   but some nylon carpet is pretty cheap stuff.  Why go looking for trouble with these "imitation" trailer carpet pieces. And it strikes me that nylon carpet would be slicker and more durable.

I think maybe they are talking about something like this, made of HDPE.  Or maybe teflon.  (this one is HDPE) from amazon.  comments look favorable for what that is worth..

bunk.jpg

Edited by delcecchi

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

I think maybe they are talking about something like this, made of HDPE.  Or maybe teflon.  (this one is HDPE) from amazon.  comments look favorable for what that is worth..

bunk.jpg

That's what I was referring to...but smaller.