• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2017 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

Just talked to Catch Cover to see if they had any of the old ones around. I was told that the old ones were different plastic, ABS I think, and the new ones are actually stronger. Go figure. These do what I need, and do it well, but I do wish they stayed in place a little better.  

Edited by Hawg

34 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Just talked to Catch Cover to see if they had any of the old ones around. I was told that the old ones were different plastic, ABS I think, and the new ones are actually stronger. Go figure. These do what I need, and do it well, but I do wish they stayed in place a little better.  

I was really surprised at how strong these new ones are.  There is very little flex.  I went to the show wanting the Katz covers, but they flex 10x's more.  Not to the point that they would break, but it is something I don't care for.  

45 minutes ago, ANYFISH2 said:

Lip Ripper, love watching your builds.

One question/critique is how many times is a guy going catch the corner of those runners for the top bunk?

That looks like something I would be cussing at quite often.

Haha...I don't think it'll be a problem, but I can definitely see why it looks like it could be.  The runners stick out 1.5" from the wall, and the cushions stick out 4".  Time will tell.  It could be one of those things that ends up a giant headache, but its similar to the Happi Jac, and I've not seen any complaints about those (in that area).  

15 hours ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Some other small detail items before I get to the finished pics of the entire house.

Each bench has a built in UV jig glow light.  You never have to worry about finding your keychain light (or the dead battery they always seem to have) again!

051AC4E2-2C85-409B-9B05-A8ABF2D1B774_zps

The normal bench cushion back always seems to be falling down.   I had each cushion sewn with a tab, and then installed a grommet and a hook on the wall.  

85E35779-72D4-4E98-9FC2-00C77321F4A1_zps

On the back side of each wheel well is a rod storage compartment for 4 rods, an ice scoop, a forceps, and a few small hooks for miscellaneous stuff.

B49705FB-A6C1-4ED5-ABC6-3056436E7E45_zps

I mentioned the under cabinet and under bunk lighting in another post, but here it is in action.

B8B91188-BDB8-4D59-9B92-0DE083307265_zps

And another view of my charging cabinet, with rattle reel storage.

37334919-0263-4018-AAEF-798236A5F198_zps

That's all for now.  Finished pics soon!

That little charging station is really cool. Great idea.

Edited by Fishin machine

Very nice work again LRG! Like many others, I have gotten a lot of good information from your postings on here and greatly appreciate it! I am in the process of building a 22' house now myself and know the extra time and effort it takes to document progress. I plan to share some of my experiences when I'm closer to finished. Once again thank you very much for sharing and great work!

On 12/18/2016 at 9:05 PM, Datman7890 said:

Have you gotten curious and fired up the in floor heat to see if it will hold temp in there? 

It's been run a lot over the last month, but the maiden voyage was up to Red this last Sunday til today. From -30 to +30, the forced air furnace never kicked on. The only thing I didn't do was try to use the in floor for the initial warm up. I was interested in getting as far away from -30 as quickly as possible. 

Good to hear it was successful. Remind me, is the heating for that electric or is that propane in the hot water heater? I'd be curious as to the amount of propane used. Also, when you picked up the house after sitting at least overnight, was the frame ever warmed enough to make imprints from melting the ice under it? Thinking thermal transfer into the flooring and frame.

11 hours ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

It's been run a lot over the last month, but the maiden voyage was up to Red this last Sunday til today. From -30 to +30, the forced air furnace never kicked on. The only thing I didn't do was try to use the in floor for the initial warm up. I was interested in getting as far away from -30 as quickly as possible. 

You seeing much difference in humidity levels + or - going in floor over forced air?

4 hours ago, Chaws said:

Good to hear it was successful. Remind me, is the heating for that electric or is that propane in the hot water heater? I'd be curious as to the amount of propane used. Also, when you picked up the house after sitting at least overnight, was the frame ever warmed enough to make imprints from melting the ice under it? Thinking thermal transfer into the flooring and frame.

It is both electric & propane.  

There will be no downward thermal transfer.  There is plywood over the frame, a 3/4" layer of high density board foam, the PEX is run through a 2nd layer of high density 3/4" board foam, with heat transfer plates surrounding the pex pipes, and then aluminum sheeting over everything.  The entire underside is spray foamed, over all the metal framing (other than the perimeter framing).

From Sunday morning until Wednesday morning I used roughly 20# of propane, which included about 2 hours of forced air + water heater from the landing until being fully set up.    

4 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

You seeing much difference in humidity levels + or - going in floor over forced air?

Not that I can tell.  I'll watch the monitor.  Usually I run the range vent for 10-15 mins a few times per day, just to get some of the stale air out.  In this house the bath fan is like a mini wind turbine, sucking all the air out, so the range vent may be unnecessary.  

47 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Not that I can tell.  I'll watch the monitor.  Usually I run the range vent for 10-15 mins a few times per day, just to get some of the stale air out.  In this house the bath fan is like a mini wind turbine, sucking all the air out, so the range vent may be unnecessary.  

What did you end up using for the bath fan?  I've found out the hard way after a few beers that after sprayfoaming a house those suckers are air tight and nothing escapes, not even smells.

3 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

What did you end up using for the bath fan?  I've found out the hard way after a few beers that after sprayfoaming a house those suckers are air tight and nothing escapes, not even smells.

MaxxAir MaxxFan 7000K.  I put one in the main part of the house, and one in the bathroom.  The one in the main part of the house has an insulated cover for the winter to eliminate heat loss and condensation.    

I'm not sure I would have thought of that, leaving the wheels up, but that's the only way to snatch it when you think about it. This has never happened to me, thanks for the lesson. I would definitely need a change of underwear.  I had one side of the house melt away from reflected sun on early ice but it was years ago with a skid house. We tied 4  4 wheelers together and blasted it. Scary as hell. 

A 2nd update on propane usage with the in floor heat.  3.9 gallons from about noon Thursday , through around noon on Sunday.  It's looking like about 6 pounds of propane per full day, which is about half of what my previous 25k BTU forced air was burning.  This does include about 4-5 hours of cooking on the propane stove.  So far everything is testing great!

4 hours ago, perchking said:

Look at all of the money you are saving:) just kidding!!! Love following your builds LRG,  u need to protect your IP on a lot of these ideas... seriously you do. 

The nitty gritty is kept on the DL, kinda :)  

Version 2.0 of the in floor heat is designed and ready to go, and I have a volunteer who I'll be installing it in their Firebrand soon.  Version 1.0 (soon to be 1.1) is going to get a couple tweaks next week that will cut energy usage by at least another 25%.

One other thing I forgot about is that the battery usage is way down in comparison to forced air.  Running all my interior and exterior lights, the hydronic pump, and stereo, I used about 20 amp hours per 24 hour period.  That should yield a solid 8-10 days without plugging into a generator or shore power to recharge batteries.  

I also ordered some insulated wheel skirts a few weeks back that shipped out today.  Hopefully I'll have them for the weekend.  The lake I fished last weekend had zero snow for banking to go with the 30mph wind that seemed to cut right under the house and hole sleeves.    

Since you're on to newer versions of the in floor heat have you looked into the tankless any more? You mentioned that residential style tankless venting was an issue. How so? I purchased an Aquah brand tankless direct vent for hot water in mine. These are typically installed in homes but when I contacted the dealer I was told they have installed these in RVs and sold to dealers. They have either 2.65 GPM or 3.7 GPM at 45 deg temp rise models.

49 minutes ago, Papa Bear said:

Since you're on to newer versions of the in floor heat have you looked into the tankless any more? You mentioned that residential style tankless venting was an issue. How so? I purchased an Aquah brand tankless direct vent for hot water in mine. These are typically installed in homes but when I contacted the dealer I was told they have installed these in RVs and sold to dealers. They have either 2.65 GPM or 3.7 GPM at 45 deg temp rise models.

The Aquah systems are designed specifically for RV use, as far as I know.  I looked at the 400LP model initially.  I was referring to the Eccotemp, Marey, Vevor, etc that are designed for use in a residential home.  Those have specific vent length, diameter, and capping requirements that would be problematic in a RV/fish house setting.

I'm surprised that the fuel usage would be so much lower. Wonder if this shack is just insulated that much better? Very cool to hear it works just fine though. 

Shack came out really nice. Been nothing but motivation to go this route myself and just build vs buy. 

2 hours ago, Datman7890 said:

I'm surprised that the fuel usage would be so much lower. Wonder if this shack is just insulated that much better? Very cool to hear it works just fine though. 

Shack came out really nice. Been nothing but motivation to go this route myself and just build vs buy. 

I think the difference is that it is a 12k BTU burner doing the heating, vs 25k or 30k.  Insulation is pretty similar, and I have 1 extra window.    

It's looking like -25 is about the low temp at which the in floor heat can be the sole heat source (as designed).  Last weekend was -31 and the furnace (which I set 3 degrees below the in floor temp) kicked on about every 2 hours for maybe 5 minutes.  It never ran once the temp got up to -20 or warmer.

Some people think I'm crazy, but I'd spend more money to build my own shack to have it exactly how I want it.  Plus, the quality is better than anything out there.  There is enough info on all the build posts on this site for people to work through a build.  It isn't hard, but I will warn you that it takes WAY more time than you'd think.  Plan for 500 hours for actual building on your first build, and another 500 hours of designing, tracking down, picking up, and ordering materials, and you might be close :)