• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ride

After thinking on it for about a month, finally decided to pull the trigger on a new truck today. The " old" one wasn't really old (2012) but it was a 1 ton dually that I used for pulling our 5th wheel camper. After buying a cabin and selling said camper I didn't really need that much truck. Headed to the dealer and surprisingly they gave me a very good trade in. Ended up trading for a 2016 1500 Ram Rebel. It has 4 point air ride suspension that has 4 different pre set heights and supposedly will self level according to the load put on the truck. Also was surprised that on that model they are putting out 395 ponies from the 5.7 Hemi. I'm pretty anxious to make a few trips with the fish house to see how it goes.

Also check what mfg the axles are.  If they are still using the American ones, the service requirement was every 15000 miles and the synthetic gear lube was HIGH DOLLAR.  After my dodge went out of warranty changed it over to Amsoil.  Also did the T case.  I use to do my plugs at 30k, along with trans service.  Enjoy your new ride. 

Thanks for the heads up guys. I will check into the owners manual and see what it says. The wife's Durango has 70,000  on it and we finally had to put tires on it otherwise haven't touched it other than oil changes. My work truck is a 3/4 ton with the 6.4 L he I and that usually gets 21.3  when just truck with tool box and 100 gal. Fuel barrel. The 21.3 is actual math calculation and not what computer says.( that says 22.1). Obviously it goes down to about 15.5 pulling skid loader. The Durango gets around 24. I'll run it a couple thousand miles and post an update 

Thanks Reb. My fourteen year old daughter this morning thought all the boys were staring at her when I dropped her off at school. Didn't have the heart to tell her that they were looking at the truck! With a name like RebelSS you should find one! What town are you in?

Airjer -  In the owners manual it says to change the plugs at 100,000 miles

jmd1 -  In the owners manual it says to inspect every 15,000 miles, change every 120,00 for axles/gear lube

So far ( only 200 miles) the computer says it's getting 16.4 mpg. Haven't done actual math because it was full from dealer and haven't put any gas in myself. After a couple tanks I'll let you know how the mpg is doing.

Edited by SwivelDigger
New thought

Rochester, Swivel. Town's all show and no go. I'd love to have a Rebel, but I have a "still new" 2010 F-150 I ordered with the last of the 5.4 Tritons in it...and it just turned over 15,000 miles. It sits in the warm garage and gets hand polished a lot.  Call it my "future sales" investment. :P

I was down in Rochester in early December for a few days for my job. We were working on the river (zumbro I think) . The bank of the river was washing away so we restored it. I was only there for a couple days to set the gps up for the Dozer and the excavator. Only time I've been there, it didn't seem all that bad.

33 minutes ago, SwivelDigger said:

I was down in Rochester in early December for a few days for my job. We were working on the river (zumbro I think) . The bank of the river was washing away so we restored it. I was only there for a couple days to set the gps up for the Dozer and the excavator. Only time I've been there, it didn't seem all that bad.

It isn't that bad.  

On 1/20/2016 at 4:06 PM, Jeremy airjer W said:

you can double check but im pretty sure they recommend plugs every 30k or so on the Hemi. All 16 of them!

That is the only thing that drives me nuts about that engine.

I'm also interested in some real world mileage.

That's what I recall when looking at trucks in 2012...maybe dodge put different plugs in? I'm not a mechanical guy and was told by many the Dodge tends to be a little more involved then other makes.

Congrats on the new truck. I'm sure you gonna love it. What color?

On January 24, 2016 at 5:53 PM, ClownColor said:

That's what I recall when looking at trucks in 2012...maybe dodge put different plugs in? I'm not a mechanical guy and was told by many the Dodge tends to be a little more involved then other makes.

Congrats on the new truck. I'm sure you gonna love it. What color?

Clown, it's a dark gray.

Got about 1500 miles on it now. Mileage has been running at 16.8 mpg......until trip to Red pulling 16ft house. Then it dropped to 13.1.

15 hours ago, SwivelDigger said:

Clown, it's a dark gray.

Got about 1500 miles on it now. Mileage has been running at 16.8 mpg......until trip to Red pulling 16ft house. Then it dropped to 13.1.

Nice. I've been checking my Tundra the last couple of tanks and my MPG's have been around 13.7...OUCH! But, I do tend to let it warm up just a little to long most mornings LOL!