• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The kid needs his own shotgun

The kid has been using my spare 12ga pumps for quite a while,  time for him to get a semi auto.  

Back in 93 I bought a new Remington 1187 and to this day I haven't had any issues.  We were at one of the big gun stores earlier looking over several different brands, we've narrowed down to three guns in his price range. 

The 1187, beretta A300, and stoeger 3500. 

The problem is I know nothing about the stoeger,  nice light gun. I do know a couple people that have berettas and like them. To me it seamed the 1187 was a little heavier than the others. Any pros and cons between these three guns?

Here's my vote for the 1187.....who didn't grow up with a Wingmaster? They were a tad heavier back then, too, but I never had ONE malfunction with any of the three I had. Nor the 1100's either. Both of the others are nice guns, but never having owned either, I'll have to say I'll stick with the 1187. What do you want him to pass down to HIS kids? :)

Remington has gone down the toilet over the last decade.  I absolutely love my old 870. I wouldn't take a new one for free.  I'd look at a Mossberg, Stoeger,  or Franchi for lower priced autoloaders.  Obviously the Beretta, Benelli, etc. are great,  but those run a bit more as well.

Thanks fellas, that was my feeling at the store coming down to those 2, just wasn't sure bout the stoeger.  Being a Remington kinda guy it wouldn't break my heart if he picked the beretta.  

I told him get all three side by side, shoulder all of them several times to see which feels the best without shooting of course and go from there. One thing I did see different with berettas and stoeger is its a little different opening and closing the action, an extra button to hit to keep the action open vs Remington. .

Franchi has been making fine shotguns for a few hundred years and they have always been grossly under-rated. I'd walk right over the rest to buy a Beretta or a Franchi. I have used both on quite a few occasions when my regular (double) guns weren't available. And bought my wife a .20 Franchi years ago and it was (and is) one of the sweetest shooting little shotguns you'll ever pick up.

I understand the Remington bias in the group but at least take a good hard look at these two.