• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The little Edge that couldn't

I was lucky enough to diagnose this one. 2007 Ford Edge, 3.5 liter, auto trans. Customer complained that it would not "go" and that the check engine, ABS, and Trac lights where on. I found codes for the transmission input speed sensor and did a little research. There is a TSB that in a nutshell tells you to verify the circuits integrity and if nothing is found replace the sensor. Using another resource I found many speed sensors where being replaced to resolve this issue. A visual and ohm check of the wiring and I was satisfied that the most likely culprit was the speed sensor.

The old input speed sensor on the right and the old output speed sensor on the left.

20151103_125413_resized.thumb.jpg.931f02

After removing the air filter housing, radiator hoses, and one of the trans cooler lines I was finally able to see and remove the front cover. This is what greeted me. The connector on the very right is the output speed sensor and if you follow the wiring loom you can see it disappears on the left.

20151103_090259_resized.thumb.jpg.118de8

Next the ladder frame is removed exposing the valve body. If you look at the very bottom of the picture you can see the harness for the output speed sensor. It is also plugged into the ladder frame assembly. The funny thing is it is bolted to the transmission externally but the harness runs through the transmission internally. In order to replace it you need to remove all the same things we are removing to replace the input speed sensor, we opted to replace them both at the same time.

20151103_083311_resized.thumb.jpg.dac170

The valve body is on the bench resting comfortably next to the ladder frame ;) Notice the four different sized bolts that hold the ladder frame to the valve body. I made special notes on where each on went but was surprised to find the same info in the repair information, Thank you Ford!

20151103_074755_resized.thumb.jpg.b3d411

We can finally see the input speed sensor. It was easily removed after removing the single bolt that held it to the transmission.  in the bottom right you can again see the output speed sensor harness. That was a real treat to fish through the transmission!20151103_074747_resized.thumb.jpg.891417

After installing the new parts and reassembling all the components the codes where cleared and a quick test drive verified a successful repair.

Who's ready to give it a whirl?