• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wood Kiln/Drying

mrklean

unless there is some sentimental value to it I'd suggest buying a kiln dried piece of wood instead.  Lake Elmo Hardwoods is long gone and one of the few that were in the TC area.  Best bet is finding some "hobbyist" that does it in the back forty of his place.  

Let me know what thickness "chunk" means.  I assume 2" or thicker, send me a message if you want.  You will end up throwing this thick piece that is at a different moisture content potentially than the other kiln charge that may be thinner and a higher moisture content.  Recipe for your walnut chunk ruined if it has sentimental value.

I don't know how big of a hurry you are in to use the piece but if you put it in a heated,  dry environment it will gradually dry, much slower than in a kiln of course. Leechlake is right that different species and different thicknesses safely dry at different rates. 

Thanks guys it's 3" now but will be cut to 2" for use I talked to a couple guys today and hopefully have it figured out, sounds like it shouldn't be a problem to dry just looking at 3-4 month wait which I'm fine with can't wait 3 years for air drying.  The pieces I have seen out there dried the are similar to what I have are way out of my budget I got a sweet deal for the one I got.

oh cool!!  now that the interest is there if ya think about it when you are done send a pic of the finished product...always like to see how a certain piece of wood can look when finished with different grains and such.  Good luck on the project!!