• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Water Cooling Question

MidCoast

My boat motor, Suzuki 40 hp 1997 year, I thought was having issue with the water pump taking in water. I changed the water pump and water was still only coming out a little bit through that one hole where it squirts water out in a stream or none at all, but water is coming out of the two back holes of the motor.  Sorry, I don't know the names of those water holes.

When water isn't flowing from the hole that squirts water out in a stream, I used a metal wire and stuck it in the hole, water then came out again, but that would only last a bit then no water comes out again and I will have to repeat the process.

Is this harmful to the outboard motor?  Do I really need water to come out of that hole?  As I think when it is some how plugged, water comes out more at the other two holes.

Somewhere on your lower unit near the propeller there are some vents. Those allow the impeller/pump to suck water up through your motor, keeping it cool and from costing you lots of repair dollars, and then squirts the used water out of that tell-tale hose. Your car has a closed-loop system using coolant. The purpose of the tell-tale is to tell the boat's operator if an impending breakdown is on the horizon because the motor isn't getting cooled properly. If water is coming out of other holes, there is almost certainly an obstruction somewhere and water is finding its way out via other means. Definitely pull the hose and completely thread it with wire. Blow air throw it. Pay attention to what comes out. If you run your motor through shallow areas, kicking up lots of silt and sand, that can clog your cooling hoses. Be careful and keep that water flowing!

Quick tip: When you get home from the water, throw those muffs on and run a few minutes to flush out any silt/sand that may have been sucked in. It helps. 

Edited by RebelSS

I'd pull the cover off the motor, and find where the telltale hose connects to the engine block.  Take it off there, and blow compressed air / water / whatever you have available to you through there and clean out whatever gunk has built up in there.

Based on your other descriptions, I'd say you have a decent amount of cooling water coming through, especially with a new water pump, but it's always nice to have the telltale working as you expect.

marine_man

Hope this isn't too far off topic but if I could think of just one thing I found that I don't particularly like about my 2011 E-tec it would be the design of the "telltale".  It sprays straight out the back of the motor so I can't just glance behind me to see if it is working.  

Edited by BobT