• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tires at Walmart?

Has anyone purchased tires at Walmart with good luck? All my life I have been buying tires at so called authorized Goodyear, Bridgestone, Firestone, Michelin dealers etc. But lately I have had just terrible service from these type places. I priced some 195/60/R15 tires out today at Walmart and they are incredibly cheap for a set of Bridgestone and Goodyear tires with lifetime balance and rotation.

What are you thoughts?

Big box stores can be hard to compete with. But, make sure you are comparing the exact same tire. Big buyers can sometimes dictate how the tire is made, in order to get/give that low low price.

The only example I have is once I spotted the very distinct BF Goodrich T/A KO tread pattern that I liked at the time. They were authentic BF's at a much lower price than I expected. If I remember right they were branded T/A but no KO which are much more subtle sidewall letters to notice/or not, real easy. Then I noticed they had only two ply sidewalls. I'm sure some missed the large print and thought they got a killer deal.

On the same wavelength, anyone surprised to see Duracells for the new remote control, only to find out they are Chinese "OEM" Duracells?

I buy most my tires at Sam's Club(owned by Walmart) and will continue because I can come back on weekends without an appointment to get them rotated free while I shop. I've bought a set at a dealer while getting some work done and was shocked their prices were as good.

I buy all my tires at Discount Tires-last 4 or 5 sets anyway. Just bought a set of 4 a few months ago for my F150. It was when Ford had a big tire sale, they matched Ford prices and I didn't have to deal with the mail in rebates-they matched it out right! Several years ago, I had a nail in my tire, stopped in the one in Burnsville and asked them how much, he said no charge, just give me a chance to quote your next tires, been a customer since!

Im not exactly sure on the specifics but if you purchase some "goodyear" tires at a walmart they are a tire made specifically for walmart. They are NOT "mainstream" goodyear tires.

The Viva 2, Trailmark, and Authority line come to mind off hand.

Im not exactly sure on the specifics but if you purchase some "goodyear" tires at a walmart they are a tire made specifically for walmart. They are NOT "mainstream" goodyear tires.

The Viva 2, Trailmark, and Authority line come to mind off hand.

But it isn't like that's a secret. Different tires have different names.

I don't think that Goodyear makes two versions of a tire with the same name.

I also don't think if you buy the identical tire at a tire shop vs Walmart or Sam's club they would be different. The biggest difference is the experience of the mechanics putting the tires on. If I got the same price at the dealer or Walmart it wouldn't be a hard decision.