• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Patience Defined

A buddy of mine may just be the most patient deer hunter that I know. This past week he was deer hunting in Kansas for the seventh year in a row, without shooting a deer. He hunts with a guy named Perry Ross and some of the other guys have shot some really nice bucks but not the guy that you're going to see in the photo coming up.

His hunt started this year on Wednesday which was day 29 since he had shot a buck. While he did see some deer he was waiting for something mature and truly a trophy. He texted me from time to time but for sure every morning I'd get a text just before shooting time. Day 30, Day 31, Day 32, Day 33. Still nothing. He did see some 150 class bucks but he was looking for something bigger.

On the afternoon of day 33 three of them were deciding where to hunt for the evening. Without going into why they all figured who would go where and that night one of the guys killed a 165ish buck and the other guy a 188 non typical. My buddy was sick wondering how someone could have that bad of luck. From what he told me of all the days starting at day 1 he was besides himself.

On Sunday the morning of day 34 I thought it was odd he didn't text me like all the other mornings. I texted him and heard nothing, I figured he got frustrated and went home a day early. At around 9am I got a text from him with some sort of celebratory "yeh hah" or something but no photo.

I'll leave out how it happened because I believe the moral of the story may just be patience: 182 gross

Need help getting photo on here if someone can help me, it's too large thanks.

thanks for getting that photo up. To clarify day 34 was cumulative over the years not just this year. He's crazy but not that crazy.

I was going to say, I can handle getting up and sitting in a stand a few days streight but unless he had a recliner or a cast iron butt not sure what kind of stand seat pad he had? shocked

A bit of an aside but one time when we were elk hunting he may have shown his true colors. On day one he was riding a horse out of the mountains at night. Horse spooked and went up the mountain. The guy in photo got hung up in a cedar and went sideways on horse. Eventually he fell off of the horse with his right boot stuck in stirrup. Horse dragged him for a while and he finally got his foot out and then rolled 50 feet down the mountain until he finally stopped. I heard or saw most of this. Screaming, yelling, the "thud thud" of a guy rolling down rocks.

Cracked rib, fractured arm and various other slighter injuries. He hunted four more days and went to Dr when we got home.

Nice deer! Patience really helps as does the money it takes to hunt with outfitters and having 34 days to do it. I believe the Realtree crew hunts there as well. Nice gig if you can do it. Beaut of a buck though!

that post took a bit longer than I though it would. Let's leave out he probably works 60 plus hours a week, 70 in the past. Read closer 34 days over 7 years, he doesn't get any paid vacation so he has to take them 5 days a year. Beaut of a post though.