• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring up power to use summer depth finder for winter fishing?

mr_jman

Question

I've got a Humminbird 899 and would love to use the large screen and the GPS and lake map features of the unit on the ice.

Has anyone done this? (Basically I want to buy the $20 power cord and a universal cigarette plug with the + and - wires and wire it up. All I need is for the unit to turn on. I don't plan to use the sonar/imaging features, just the GPS with lakemaps.)

I just don't want to ruin the unit in any way. I'd probably add the 3amp inline fuse just to be safe, but i don't want to buy everything if it won't work.

6 answers to this question

I use my HDS 7 on my ATV all the time. I just bought the Accessory Plug power cord like you are talking for your Bird. Works great!

Assuming you have a 12V accessory outlet you can plug into its a no brainer. If you have to wire up a socket, dont ask me how to do that. I tried doing it in my house and must have done something wrong and melted my car charger for my cell phone. LOL

I bought a plastic waterproof utility box, an extra mounting base for my Humminbird 797 and a small 12 volt battery and made a portable base for it. I use it in gps mode to find the general area, then slip it into flasher mode to fish. Works like a vexilar with gps.