• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing help

1lessdog

I built a spearing house this summer and am getting ready to go. The problem is I have never been in a house or seen it done other than videos. Anyone want to give me some advice on how to do it. Do you throw the spear or drop it? Decoys or live bait?

Any help would be nice. and if someone would like to go and show me the ropes let me know

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relive your memories take a Kid Hunting and Fishing

What kind of spear do you have also? I have found the laser cut ones you don't want to throw, or at least the one I had every time I tried to throw/push it I would always have it sail on me. The Amish made one I have now I can throw at angles not problem. As far as decoys it never hurts to have both a live and fake, at times one will out perform the other. Others will chime in and give some great advice also.

I use live and artificial at the same time. Lots of different opinions there and I don't think there is a right answer.

Make sure the head of your spear is in the water before you release it. I give mine what I would call a moderate push.

We all start somewhere.

Look at the threads here, lots of information. If you don't see answers feel free to ask, people here are happy to help and won't give you grief like some other places.

The best way to do it is to see it. Find others in your area who can show you the ropes. If you are in the metro area we get together on fish lake in Harris several times a year. Otherwise see if you can catch up with someone on here and spend an afternoon with them learning the how's and whys of set up and presentations.

Welcome to the obsession.

I live outside Moorhead. I know of a lake by Barnsville that has some big Northerns in it. As I have cought many 10 to 15 lb fish out of it. And in the camera at 14 to 15 feet its real clear. So if I was in 4 to 5 ft should be clear. Or do you think i should go deeper?

As others have said, get someone who knows the ropes to go with the first time or two. Offer to help them set their house up so you can learn how that goes, too (picking a spot, blocking your house up, banking it, etc.).

You can read these forums until you're blue in the face, and granted, it's all good advice, but you will learn more in 5 minutes with an experienced spear fisherman than any hours of reading would ever produce.

Too bad We are so far apart I would gladly share sometime in the shack with you. MJ post mentions some good point on fish location. When learning I would try to find a spot on a weed edge that is not to deep to lessen your learning curve on which technique dropping pushing or throwing works with your spear. Deep water and a laser spear can be very frustrating as they want to plane one way or another if thrown or pushed. I am a big fan of using a teaser to spin a spoon or painted golf ball and I always have a wood decoy down. If the fish ignore the spoon I go to 2 decoys.

Mwal

Try joining the Mn Dark house & Angling Assn. They may have a chapter in your area with friendly people ready to help you learn. I was fortunate to have a retired guy take me under his wing when I was a teenager in the 70's. He would see me staring at my bobber in the brutal cold waiting for a pike. Remember in MN the State where nothing is legal tip ups were outlawed until the 1980's so you just stood there watching your hole freeze. Anyhow he invited me into his spear shack to warm up and I saw him spear a pike. I was hooked and built a house the next season and he taught me about spinning prince albert cans to attract pike and carved me my first decoys. The only color you need according to him was red and white. Been spearing ever since. Ever grateful that some old timer took the time to be nice to a random kid on the ice. So I make it a point to return the favor when I can. I am introducing my 9 year old Nephew this season and my son's 25 year old buddy. Doing this is the only way we will keep this ancient tradition going.

Mwal

The only color you need according to him was red and white.

That's great... My Grandfather, who taught me to spear and to carve, had about 10 decoys he had made and those were the only ones he used. He had one that was some type of green, white, and yellow (which we never used). The other nine were red and white! He's speared more and bigger fish than anyone I know. wink He never used a sucker, either, as they "just get eaten by the hammer handles and are a waste of money." While I do run both a live and a fake, I can't argue with his success over the years.

Another couple of questions. I have a 7 x 14 wheel house and I have a life time lic on the trailer. And a 3 yr lic on the house. I built a 7 x 14 trailer this summer to spear out of and put a 4 man portable up when I get to the lake. I know I need a lic on the trailer. But do I need a lic for the portable? I have lived in Mn for a few yrs but never fished with a portable.

And I have a fishing lic but I also need a spearing lic??

If you spear in deep water or near a sharp drop off, only run your decoy 8 to 10 feet down. A pike will come from any dept for a meal. You don't need to run your decoys deep, just so you can make a good throw.

Good post.

To the op pike look up not down.

If you spear in deep water or near a sharp drop off, only run your decoy 8 to 10 feet down. A pike will come from any dept for a meal. You don't need to run your decoys deep, just so you can make a good throw.

I have literally run my decoys 4' down in 22' of water and had good success. Food for thought...