• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking for a long bow for my daughter.

Boar

my daughters wants a long bow,cool! dont knw where to start, thinking around that 40-60 lb draw weight. going to scheels wensday and will have try a few out for size. any direction would be helpfull.

Boar, Sniper is right- be certain to not overbow her! 40-45 is likely all most people should shoot. If I were to get one today I'd get a 45 lber. Scheels is a good option- talk with Brandon or Al. Also, Tom Wilson at the Outdoorsman is a great choice. If I were going to get a longbow, I'd talk with Tom first.

Back in the day, before compounds when I bow hunted, I shot a 45 pound recurve. That was about all I could handle well. Remember, unlike a compound, you are holding the maximum at full draw while aiming. It can be hard to hold it steady if you are using a weight that is uncomfortably high.

I was in the market for a longbow, with very little experience. I didn't like what I found when it came to commercial bows in my price range, and I took a risk buying a bow I'd never shot before.

Based on reviews from traditional archery related websites, I asked Kegan @ omega longbows about the custom bows that he makes. My wife and the inlaws got one for me for xmas. It's more of a reflex-deflex longbow than a true D longbow, but that's what I was looking for anyways.

I'm 150% satisfied, and it sure as heck didn't break the bank. I got the 1 piece original omega, 40lb draw @ 27 inches. Practicing on weekends only, maybe 20-60 shots per weekend, I was able to get consistency hitting my block with a solid hunting-worthy grouping up to 25ish yards. 30+ yards is where I start to see things get less consistent, but I have done some longer distance shooting with good hits.

There are lots of options and price ranges out there, as usual the good idea is to get her hands on a few to find one that fits her well. I can't guarantee everyone will get as lucky as me buying an unshot bow off the web.

As a longbow shooter, unless your daughter is built like Xena the warrior princess, she'll have issues pulling anything over 42#. Bemidji bowshop offers some traditional bows that you could try before buy. You can find them on-line. Also on-line is Lancaster archery. they offer lots of longbows that would fit your needs. I have several of their samick longbows for winter league. You can get them in 5# increments from 15# on up. GREAT bow for the money. IMO, you'll find a D shaped bow will be best for a new shooter. Easier to shoot, easier to pull, more forgiving for poor shooting form. Best advice I'd give her is don't let her aim at anything until she's shot atleast a couple hundred arrows. Pull the string back, close your eyes and feel the shot. Until you get that down, aiming at a target is pointless. Good luck. Taz

Boar

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet look up Holmes Archery or Traditional bows. His name is Chad Holmes out of Brainerd he makes curve and long bows and they are down right beautiful. He'll take the time to fit, teach and practice w her until she's comfortable. I may be wrong but I think he guarantees them for the life of the bow and a a supper nice guy. He teaches up in Pequot Lakes during the day and bows at night.

MR