• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My new wingman

CaptainMusky

After the loss of my GSP last summer and sitting out all last hunting season I now have a new hunting partner. We have had him for a over a month now and he is growing like a weed.

Training is now in session... full-5994-48245-img_20140716_100019_971.

That pic is already 2 weeks old and I think he gained 10#. Lol

Oh they sure can wear a guy out. He broke my glasses last Monday before I left for work. Has found a loophole in the boys' laundry cleanup and vomited up several socks.

He goes in the end of the week for his last shots for the year. He went from 12# at 7 wks to 30# at last checkup. Weighed him the other day and he was 45#. Just shy of 4 months.

He is pretty good though. He does well in the crate for extended periods so that helps when we aren't home.

Anyone ever use that "speed stick" style scent for training?

Its been 10 yrs since I trained a dog and found this stuff but I cannot even smell it. Not that it matters lol

So far he is doing well. Retrieving consistently and even blind retrieves. I'm not a master trainer by any means so things like "back" or "over" etc are off my radar. I tend to mark the downed bird and help guide the dog by approaching where I think it is. Right or wrong its worked for me. I don't have patience and time to teach it in a manner the purists may perform.

Its great having a dog again but I could do without the "puppy". Lol

Thanks for the kind words. Its been a long year since I lost my last gsp so I made sure to take the time and not rush to get a new one to honor him.

My 4th gsp over 30 years and I don't know if I could move go another breed. We just seem to mesh.

The best thing to do at this age is to get the pups on birds to build his desire let him chase for awhile but keep him on a check cord once the desire is in place start to teach him whoa. If you need more info just post or pm me. Good looking pup.

Well I wanted to post a more recent pic of Trigger. So far I would rate his season a solid B. The reason for the reduction and not an A are on me not him. He has done very well overall and certainly has the drive.

He has had many successful points and witnessed many misses! Grrr. I haven't been able to hunt much at all this year and those chances I have been out have been limited to only a few hours each outing.

Our last outing resulted in this... a beautiful point, bird flushed perfectly, one successful miss (#sarc) and a kill shot followed in hot pursuit by Trigger which led to a short chase and ended in a great retrieve to my hand.

full-5994-52199-img_20141212_112014_848.

He is now 8 months old and 70#. Oofdah!

Thanks ufatz. Yeah is is big. Very tall. Biggest shorthair since the first one my dad had 30 plus years ago.

He isn't going to get much bigger I don't think and with harder hunting I'm sure he would've dropped some weight. He might be the most stubborn shorthair I've had too. Lol