• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Win 8.1?

I know from IT support standpoint literally no one wanted to role out windows 8 because of the fact it setup more to be tablet app and difficult for general workstation type of use. Everyone has been waiting for a more workstation suitable version. I have not see version 8.1 yet so can't comment a whole lot.

My wife runs it on her non-touchscreen laptop, because it came with win8 a year and a half ago. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a PC just because of it, nor would I pay extra to get win7 instead (like some folks have). That being said, I would also probably wait for windows 9 if you aren't in a hurry so you could get an official start button back. If you need it though, it does work fine. The update to 8.1 came with official support for skipping the 'metro' tablet style screen (with win 8, you used to need classicshell or third party app to do that for you). Now, you can basically make it almost exactly like win7 by having windows skip the metro screen, and add a 'start' button via third party app ( e.g. classicshell, etc).

Thanks.

The IT department at my work has experimented with 8.1 and they say it is snappier than Win7 due to less overhead, but haven't rolled it out to very many PC's yet.

All I've heard from the people who have it is that they don't like it, but I wouldn't call them the most computer savvy people either and are probably just used to the previous style we've all become accustomed to over the years. The other thing they say is that it would be better with a touch screen and isn't designed for a desktop application.

This time of year is prime for 'back to school' sales and was thinking of updating my aging desktop. There are some still offering Win7 and at closeout prices, but might just bite the bullet and try 8.1. I've never touched 8 before so it's completely foreign to me.

I've had Win 8 on my workstation since it first came out, didn't like it at all but I stuck it out. With the 8.1 update, it made a huge difference, shortly after that there was another update that added a few more ' creature comforts ' and now I don't have a problem recommending Windows 8.1 with all the updates.

As for our server environments, we've only run into one or 2 programs that won't run on Win 8 yet, acceptance of Win 8 seems to be growing pretty fast now, personally, I wouldn't wait for Win 9 if there's good deals to be had. When I bought Win 8 Pro, I paid $40 for the upgrade right from Microsoft and I would imagine they will have similar promos for Win 9.

Mike

Tho the use of tablets is increasing, which win 8 works well with, there are still a lot of instances especially in the work force where the tablet style user interface is a hindrance. Yes you can tweak this and work around that, but adding steps in any work environment hinders efficiency and adds to user frustration. There are many people who sit at a PC all day long who would never be categorized as "computer savvy" people.

The update to Windows 8.1 is a huge improvement over Windows 8 for non tablet devices. Simple little things such as the right click on the start button to sign on/off and power on/off. Pinning apps to your task bar again, the "X" in the top right corner of a metro app to close out of it...

The major piece they missed and it was mentioned above, is the out of box classic shell start menu.

I need a new laptop, and I have been holding off, because I hate Windows 8. I tinkered with 8.1 a little, while it is better, I still prefer Windows 7 for work. I figured I can hold out until spring for Windows 9, and see what that is about before buying. It cant be worse right?

We are running Windows 8.1 on our new Dell desktop and I like it. We stay away from the tiles view and essentially work with it from the old style view. There are times when you need to do something simple like look at your print devices and it takes time to figure it out, but google is good about that.

You can have 8.1 update boot right into desktop mode so you never have to even enter the Metro tile interface. I use both Windows 7 and 8.1 and have no problem with either one. Windows 8.1 seems to boot a little faster and is just as stable in my experience. In desktop mode it is hard to tell the 2 apart for me.

One of the first things I changed was to have the PC boot to the Desktop.

However...

Unless I'm missing something (and only having this new PC for a few days it's very possible that I am) you will have to put shortcuts to your programs on the desktop or task bar to avoid going back to that darned Metro interface.

Thats pretty much true.

There's 2 things about the Metro interface, when you click on the ' START ' Windows flag button, you'll be sent to the 1st page of the Metro Interface, technically, that is just a spot for your commonly used programs, much like the Windows 7, Vista and XP had when you clicked on the Start Button and it listed some commonly used programs directly above that button. The menu has just been broken out into a larger screen. This first page is totally customizable and you can reorganize and throw anything you want or don't want out of this screen.

If you are in the Metro interface ( on Win 8.1 ) near the lower left corner you'll see a down arrow. Clicking on that will show you all of your Apps ( the old ALL PROGRAMS menu ), this will list everything that's installed on your computer.

I think this is where they really messed up and things got really confusing, if you didn't see your program in the first start page, then you figured you had to Search for it but really you don't if you click that down arrow and understand how this all comes together.

I hope I explained that well. I'm like everyone else and I still like my desktop view BUT I am getting use to the Metro page as time goes along.

Mike

Yeah, I get that, but it'd be nice if it was possible to just open a program from the Desktop without going to Metro and then clicking the down arrow and then searching through a spread out list to find the program/tool you're looking for. I guess clicking on Start and hovering the mouse was too easy...

I'm going to work with it for a while but have a feeling I'll be installing a shell before too long. I just don't see how this version has made any leaps towards being a more efficient interface.

LMIT, don't be afraid of the other shells. classicshell is pretty lightweight, basically just adding a start button and keeping everything else native windows. I'm using it on both of the computers that have win8 here (my dell tablet and andrea's laptop) and also my mother in law's computer. No issues whatsoever.

My problem with the metro interface is that this is WindowS (notice the S). Metro and all of the tablets and phablets and phones and whatnot are basically set up for single-app, max-size full-screen. I prefer to have several windows open, sometimes side by side or tiled top/bottom or whatever suits my needs. Desktop with multiple windowS is what I expect out of an OS called WindowS. Otherwise they should just call it window, which is basically what dos 6.2 had -- whatever single app you were running had the full screen.

It is easy to add shortcuts to desktop or toolbar. I think you can just start typing the name of your program and it will search and give you options. This is a little know feature of Windows 8. I think this works on the desktop but I know it does on the Metro interface (which I hate and never use).

From a workplace workstation windows 8 is not friendly. Yeah IT oriented folks adapt OK but throw that in front of your typical secretary, nurse or Doc and it is going to take a while for them to get a groove for getting their work done.