• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kinetico

outdoors247

Has anyone on here installed a Kinetico water softener? If so were you happy with your softener and did it live up to your expectations? Also, which model did you go with and what was your reasoning to go with this model? I know it's a lot of questions but this is a big investment and I want to make sure it's going to meet my expectations. Thanks in advance for you input.

Outdoors247,

We did about 4 years ago. We are on city water that has a lot of iron. Our old softener was on its way out and we were using 3 bags a month or so and I started looking into my options.

I'm sure folks will say there are cheaper options that work just as well, and I'm sure there are. But I purchased for the same reason I spent more on composite decking and cement board siding: they are high quality and low maintenance and in the long run I am happier.

My experience has been very positive and would recommend a Kinetico system based on the following:

We now use about 8-10 bags of salt per year

Water quality has been as expected

Water usage has dropped slightly - about 200gal/year less, give or take

I don't ever have to think about it

Model is the 2030 S and we have the dechlorinator and prefilter. Today, I couldn't tell you why I got that model, but it made the most sense at the time.

I see Farmington has about 15ppm of hardness and .5ppm of iron. You can find a lot of water softeners that will take care of that. Kineticos will easily take care of that water and clean up any extra money in your pocket book to. Kineticos are good but about the only thing I see that they have unique is their pricing.

If you are looking for a better priced water softener that meets your needs I would start with a local supplier in your area. Commers is another option and put out some very good deals on quality water softeners during the state fair. The guys at Culligan on the south side of town are pretty decent to. Steve there is a heck of a bass fisherman to.

If you are the DIY type even many of the water softeners at the big box stores will take care of your water conditions. Just make sure to look at the specks of them that they treat the small amount of iron in your local water. Then when you install it make sure the hardness level is adjusted properly. This is typically just the next step after setting the clock on them.

I see Farmington has about 15ppm of hardness and .5ppm of iron. You can find a lot of water softeners that will take care of that. Kineticos will easily take care of that water and clean up any extra money in your pocket book to.

I agree. If this is your hardness/iron many softners will take care of this. Kineticos way overpriced IMO.

Just depends if your a DIY person or want someone to set it and forget it. There is a method to buying the right size softener and programming it correctly if you DIY.

We had a Kinetico installed in our house in 1998. The water is just plain bad in this town and the softener has done it's job very well over the years. A few years ago when I bought the old fire hall in town for a shop I installed one of the morton type softeners from fleet farm because i used very little water but needed something. It could never handle the water and I have had nothing but problems with it.