• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying used ATV

Kyle

I want to buy a used ATV. I would like to find something 4 years old or newer. I've driven ATV's off and on my whole life, but I've never owned one myself.

How many miles per year is a lot? I'm hoping to not have to replace parts right away...

I want to buy a used ATV. I would like to find something 4 years old or newer. I've driven ATV's off and on my whole life, but I've never owned one myself.

How many miles per year is a lot? I'm hoping to not have to replace parts right away...

How and where you want to drive may play a big part? 2WD or 4WD, Hunting, Mudding, dirt road-logging trails, racing down the ditch's? confused

I used to buy and sell Honda Foreman 500's off the List as a hobby. I was patient and waited for one that was in good condition and someone that needed money. I would buy 2 or 3 a year and make around $500 on each of them. I did this probably from 2007 to 2011. I think the oldest one I bought was a 2001 and the newest one 2004 and I would be buying them with 1000-2500 miles. So if you're willing to keep a watch every day on a few Brands and sizes you're looking for one can find a good deal on used. It paid for my Canada fishing trip and SD pheasant hunt every year.

I used to buy and sell Honda Foreman 500's off the List as a hobby. I was patient and waited for one that was in good condition and someone that needed money. I would buy 2 or 3 a year and make around $500 on each of them. I did this probably from 2007 to 2011. I think the oldest one I bought was a 2001 and the newest one 2004 and I would be buying them with 1000-2500 miles. So if you're willing to keep a watch every day on a few Brands and sizes you're looking for one can find a good deal on used. It paid for my Canada fishing trip and SD pheasant hunt every year.

Funny. My neighbor did the same thing, but not only with Honda's. He had great luck doing that.

I just picked up a 2002 sportsman for $1k. It has 2500 miles and 200 hours. The mileage/hours didn't scare me because it was a garage queen. I only plan to use it for pulling the portable around the lake.

I have friends with 5000 miles on their atvs (hondas) with zero problems, however they purchased them new and perform routine maintenance religiously.

Like the pervious post stated, keep a close watch on hsolist, and hsolist. The prices on a used machine are crazy, however some of the sellers need the cash quick.

there are people who are putting 10,000 miles a year on their machines. I've had as little as 400 miles on machines after 3 years before selling them.
my old man has over 54000 miles on his 2007 ATV. He really slowed down with miles this year probably only 1000.

When looking at used ATVs the miles isn't necessarily a good indicator of how hard it was used. Make sure you look at all weld locations for paint flaking off or rust. That's a telltale sign that the spot was stressed.

The new ones sure give you nice features and a lot of bang for the buck plus a warranty.