• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lilac Tree/Bush

MJBaldwin

I have a Lilac that is getting overgrown. There are a few problems with it and this is what I am looking to remove it. Number one it hangs over the driveway so when I pull in it hits my truck and number two there is a tree within the group of roots... Whats the best way to remove this?

I was thinking hooking up each sprout (each one about 1-1/2" to 2" in diamter to my truck and pulling them out 1 by 1.

any suggestions?? I would like to keep the tree, I will try and post a picture later today to explain this better.

I think you'll have a problem removing one by one, roots intertwined etc. You may want to just cut them each as close to ground as you can. I'd assume the lilacs will then keep resprouting though. You'd need to stay on top of it so it doesn't get jungly again.

Lilacs are great to fill in spots fast but tough to kill.

If you cut the root to the ground , it will grow back quickly grow new shoots ,and be a smaller ,but, developing version of the old one.....To remove the whole lilac you will need to get THE ENTIRE ROOT BASE ,as re moving individual branches will not get the job done. Cutting the lilac branches close to the ground and selectively pruning new shoots to keep it under control is an option, as it will take several years before the new growth gets very large, and is easy to do....Lilacs are a nice plant and those spring blossums are a welcome site each year.

As I understand you want the lilac gone, and save the tree that is in the middle?

If so, fastest is probably the buckthorn deal. Cut off the lilac close to the ground and paint the cut surfaces with something like roundup.

If you just cut them like a foot off the ground and let them grow back you will have a nice lilac plant with flowers in the spring. But it won't do the tree in the middle any good.

Yes I would really like to keep the tree but dont want the lilac anymore as it is overgrown and starting to go into the driveway.

Would yanking them with my truck be affective or wouldnt that be a good idea and just just them low and try to kill them off?

Treating the stumps with glyphosate i.e. Roundup may also end up killing the tree if the roots are somehow touching or comingled. Be careful there. I have accidently killed many trees in my yard that were up to 20' away from a stump I treated with glyphosate.

I suggest try pulling the lilac stumps with your truck. Looks like there are three of them or so. I suspect the lilac root system is smaller and weaker than the tree. From the bark, that tree looks like an ash.

A lilac that has been cut down and regrows is a pretty nice tree. I'm not sure if I would go to great length to save an ash, considering within the decade they will all be dead (unless you spend the money to treat it)