• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hard decision

smalliehunter

So the vet tells me my dog tore her ACL and the meniscus in her knee is bad. my dog is only 5yo and full of life. A 2600 dollar bill comes with the surgery. Has anyone had this procedure done on their dog? I would like to get some feed back good or bad.

My border collie has had both knees done. About three grand a knee.

She loves running agility and it turned out so good we are headed to nationals this year! So it worked out well for us. The rehab is very important. Lots of short walks to begin with, stretches and after a month swimmimg is great rehab. I went to an underwater treadmill for my dog where the water temp is warm and I can control her.

I went to inver grove animal hospital and Dr. Levine performed both surgeries. Couldnt be more pleased.

at five years old I'd do it but may shop around a bit. From what buddies of mine who had it done to their dog there is a likelihood of blowing the other one too. It's higher than if one hadn't been blown.

We had a golden that tore hers around 8-9 years old and we decided not to have it fixed because we had another younger dog at the time and she was getting to the age of hunting retirement anyway. She seemed to live life fine but the leg eventually looked kind of stiff and she started running differently. Almost like both back legs hit the ground at the same time. She lived to 13 and seemed to adapt fine.

Having a dog comes with this stuff, we had a lab that had a root canal at about the same time I had one. His cost more than mine? The golden above basically caped herself when she ran past an exposed sharp rebar one time, that wasn't cheap either. No matter what they cost seems the worst is they have to wear the "cone of shame" after the surgeries.

My rotty had that surgery when she was about three she's fifteen years old know have had no problems gets stiff when really cold but so do I gotta love that arthritis swimming is good for rehabbing when your vet says it's ok in my opinion it was well worth it

Our chocolate lab had the surgery at approximately 3 yrs old. Well worth it in my opinion. The hardest part is rehabbing them and trying to keep them from over doing the activity right away. She is 11 now and still going strong.

My lab has had both knees done. My 2 cents: You need to decide if it's worth the money to keep the dog hunting for the rest of its life. (And, yes, there is 40% chance the second knee will blow out within 1 year.)

My lab just turned 5 and hunted fabulously this last season. I had 2 different vets. The first charged 2600 and had complications. The second cost about 1800 and was much better. PM for details...although I leave Sunday for a week off the grid.

Good luck. And I mean that seriously. It's a hard decision.

I have 2 labs, my now 6 yr old had both back knees done at age 2. He was running and slipped in the grass that was damp. Blew the first one out, had it fixed at 3700 here in Phoenix. About 8 months later, same thing, slipped while throwing the ball blew the other one out. Another 3700. On the plus side, i have insurance on both and they paid 2900 on each knee. So that took the bite out of nearly 8 grand in knee repairs.

One thing you don't want to let the dog do after wards is run or jump for a few months. the first knee that was fixed broke the screws out because we started playing a tad to soon.

I always said i would never put that kind of money into a pet, until i owned one and now it is not and issue. good luck. Your dog is young, do it but shop around and find a good vet to do it.

I will 2nd what most have said....my chessie blew out her knee(acl) slipping on ice at 2 yrs old. $2700 later she is still going strong at almost 6 yrs old. The vet said at her last checkup the knee felt slightly arthritic but she shows no signs when in the field or at home. The hardest part was the rehab(besides writing the check) as she is full bore when retrieving or even going for walks in the fields. good luck

My last lab had it done when she was 4. She lived to be 12. A couple years after her surgery, one of the screws started working its way out and we had to get it removed. Besides the screw coming out, she seemed to get along fine after having the surgery done. Cost was about $4,000 at the U of M in 2005.

I realize your post was 12 days ago and you may have already had the surgery but in the event you have not...

Where are you located? If your not too terribly far away from Ely I'd recommend making the trek to the Ely Vet Clinic. Best vets in the world and their prices are extremely competitive.

Good luck on the recovery. It's not an easy road. Just keep at it and you two might be lucky enough to sneak in a few rooster trips toward end of the season. Got my fingers and her paws crossed for you!