• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opener

I'll be up in my cabin on the west end of Lake Vermilion. I've bought a lot of muskie lures during the winter, and I'm excited to see if I can have a chance at a true giant using these things. Still ticked about the terrible temps though.

Got out for a little bit yesterday. Raised an absolute hawg (50+), went into the figure 8 and followed it around for roughly a minute. Other than that we had an upper 40s come unbuttoned at the boat, half a dozen follows, and put one 34" in the boat.

Well in WI I only got out this evening for about 3 hours. Got one dink that was all of 24". Had one follow that was around 40", and saw 2 other muskies that were about the size of the one I caught. That 2012 stocking class appears to have been a really good one for WI (I know they produced quite a few more fish than they needed that year).

All of the fish were utilizing my most hated weed to fish (curly-leaf), next to sharp drops. I was expecting them to be on the inside edge picking off bass on panfish on beds: didn't seem to be the case. I did get some bass to run into my lures throwing over their beds though.

What a great weekend! I got one follow on Saturday, and another on Sunday. Since I'm beginning to learn how to muskie fish, I forgot to do a figure eight on Saturday when it was approaching the dock (I'm still kicking myself). Like another poster here, I am now officially hooked on muskies after witnessing 2 leviathans chase after my bucktail and spinnerbait. I just have to keep trying. Saturday's weather wasn't as bad as my first post dictated, so it was an awesome opener!

I went out Saturday at sunrise for a few hours throwing a jerk bait. I had a small one (38-40?) come from under the boat and hit a lazy figure 8. Than my back was hurting so bad I had to stop. I went out in the evening and did some trolling (easy on the back), I had a 46 1/2 just crush my crank bait. Nice start to the season.