• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I do something or

I've been out of town for a couple weeks and came home to what I suspect is a computer virus.

My home sitter while I was away (Son) claims the computer starting acting funny about a week ago.

Nothing but pop ups and redirects. Is there something I can do or purchase other then going to a service? I have run my Norton software to try to solve the problem but no luck.

Thanks,

Scott

First download and update malwarebytes free version. Run that, might even be better if you can run it in safe mode. I won't go as far as saying a miracle worker but cleans things up the vast majority of the time.

I picked up a hijacker once that kept changing the homepage of my browser. AV software didn't seem to pick it up. I installed a package called HijackThis and ran a scan. Using the online tutorials I was able to locate and remove the hijacker.

A word of caution. If you decide to try this, be sure of what you want to do before you do it because you will be messing with the registry. The tutorials were very helpful. You also have an option to send a log file to have someone else help you with what to remove.

Just a thought.

I've been out of town for a couple weeks and came home to what I suspect is a computer virus.

My home sitter while I was away (Son) claims the computer starting acting funny about a week ago.

Nothing but pop ups and redirects. Is there something I can do or purchase other then going to a service? I have run my Norton software to try to solve the problem but no luck.

Thanks,

Scott

To help with future issues. You may want to look back at your PC internet History record to see where he was when this issue happened when "house sitting", if he didn't delele it?

Even good kids can get on to some bad sites when no ones around! wink

Thanks to all for the advice and help. Significant improvement with performance after working with the suggested malwarebytes free version. That computer stuff is not very easy. eek

Thanks again.

Scott

CCleaner is also a standard that everyone should have. It's not a virus/malware scanner, per se, but it can clean out lots of dump (hence the name "CCleaner" = dump Cleaner) helping your computer to run more efficiently, freeing up space by removing clutter, and helps your other scans run faster because there are less junk files to scan.