• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heard a rumor about Northstar Custom Baits

RumRiverRat

Did a little investigating today.

Stopped by the shop since I needed some hair jigs.

Chris tied them while we chatted.

He showed me the chatterbait he is working on.

He also showed me and tied me a few colors of a new jig he is working on.

Going to give them a field test tomorrow on pool 4.

I honestly could have spent all day talking to Chris.

He is working on becoming a bass tackle destination with his retail store.

Quality jigs and Customer Service is what Chris is all about.

Sounds cool, always good to have a Bass specific place to shop and chat about Bass fishing.

Do you know what the hours are for the store and the location? Tried to google the location, but couldn't find the exact spot, might of just been me. Thanks.

Quality jigs and Customer Service is what Chris is all about.

X2 Chris is a great guy who provides top notch jigs. If ya'll want to see the new jig check out North Star Custom Baits on Facebook. There is a picture of the new head he is adding to the lineup. It'll be perfect for us Northerners.

Good make it about next Friday at about 9pm and bring some "mental health break" sauce with you for me also since I know I will need it by then

Sounds fun!

Are you on the "barter" system? grin

Nice chatting with you yesterday Chris and getting to see some of your new designs at your store. Now we just need opener to get here so I can try out the new jigs I got!! Only 20 days to go!

Have been testing a new jig Chris will be releasing soon.

This jig is the real deal. Everything I love about the All Terrain AT jig but dramatically better paint, hand expoxied weed guard and hand tied skirt.

Stuck an 18" female that was on a bed this morning with the new jig.

001_zpse04cb4fc.jpg

005_zps2b324044.jpg

This jig fits Minnesota lakes better than any other jig in our line up, besides maybe the flip and swim, I felt there was a glaring hole in my jig line up and that was a true flipping style jig designed for grass, slop, pads, and all the things we encounter up here away from the south's rocky reservoirs. It is similar to the AT jig (which I didn't realize until this winter), but it is narrower, smoother, and the weedguard is swept back instead of the 60 degree angle. This allows the jig to slide through cover easier. At the same time though it is not as prone to rolling on its side like a typical grass jig when it hits the bottom. The jig itself uses a 5/0 60 degree flat eye 3x hook, this hook is as strong as it needs to be without being completely oversized like in some jigs. My personal philosophy on jig hooks is going as small as I can get away with, and there is a couple reasons for this, I believe the fish hold onto the bait longer without having a massive steel hook that they immediately feel and then spit the jig, and I believe you also get a better hook-up ratio with a smaller hook, partly because the fish is not trying to spit the jig when you are swinging, and partly because you are not blowing there mouth open with a huge hook. The flat eye hook will also help the hooking percentage for two reasons, your line tie stays at the same angle no matter what, and that angle helps you hook more fish in the roof of the mouth when you are in close quarters like you will be 90% of the time with this jig.

One of the completed jigs. With a green pumpkin blue fleck Super Chunk it is a great natural looking presentation that will be great in clearer water.

20140605_173335_zpsahuc129m.jpg

This jig has been a great bait to drag on the bottom, over and through emerging weeds since bass opened.

Used a solid black version on pool 4 with success under really tough conditions this spring.

This jig really moves through laydowns and brush with ease.

M1dwestF1sh-I thought I read either here or Facebook he said that they weren't going to be online, but don't quote me on that, I'm sure Chris will read this and post.

Trailers:only limit is one's imagination. Chigger craw, poc it craw, super chunks, rage craws, and beavers are my personal choices, in that order. I'm sure others will chime in with adttl options.

Jigs will be available online and in the store once he releases them.

Chatterbaits are in store only.

For those on facebook. Like Go North Outdoors and Northstar Custom Baits.

I use Zoom Big Salty Chunks if I do not want a lot of wiggle, when I am pitching and flippin shallow cover and just let the bait sit for 15 or 20 seconds then make another pitch.

Zoom Super Chunks in both junior and standard sizes.

Strike King junior and senior chunks. I was using a senior chunk yesterday because I ran out of zoom super chunks.

I also like the Chigger Craw Chunk and the crazy legs chigger craw from Berkley.

Gambler Ugly Otters on Football Jigs.

Until this year I have been a mediocre jig fisherman. Have spent some time in the boat with Todd S and he is a Jig and Texas rig guy, they are his go to presentations.

His insights have helped me tremendously.

I now have so much confidence in a jig, the last couple times I have fished it is all I used.

Also helps to have such great jigs to use.

Thanks for the insite the both of you. I Texas rig mostly or crank baits but trying to get into jig fishing more. I can never get my baitcasters set up right for flippin and pitchin, any tips? I really appreciate the help from you guys.

If flipping or pitching I back off everything, meaning magnets and tensioner and free spool controlling with my thumb. I mostly cast though whether it's shallow or deep weed lines. I set tensioner first with magnets either in the middle(wind in the face) or down to minimal setting and just use my thumb as the bait enters the water. Weight of jig and size if trailer can play a factor in settings. Lighter jigs with a super chunk I find myself playing with tensioner and magnets almost on every cast if it's windy. Heavier jigs 3/8+ and a craw style bait are easier to keep dialed in without messing with settings after the first cast or two.

If you have a rod set up specifically for shallow water flipping and pitching I would also suggest only having half to three quarter spool of line, less distance with a full cast but much better accuracy on pitches and significantly less professional over runs...in my experience anyhow.

Another thought, for what it's worth, when fishing a jig in shallow water I try to side arm cast as much as possible so the jig doesn't have 10-15 feet of gravity pulling it down and making a loud entry into the water. I like to have as quiet entry into the water as possible. Not sure if it spooks fish in all reality but it does in my head. Could just be my personal hang up though.

This was the first time out on the lake that I got to throw the new South Paw jig and I couldn't be happier with how it performed. This jig comes with all the great/unique features of the other jigs in the lineup, but outperforms any other "grass" jig on the market. This is due to the head design and recessed line-tie. Another great addition to the NSCB lineup!