• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Catfish Boat

dustybaker

Well, its not new...but new to me. 2009 Lowe 1448M Jon, with a late-mid eighties Johnson 15 horse, and a Shorelandr trailer. Im curious how it will handle in the Mississippi? Is it enough motor? Boat big enough for two, maybe occasionally three guys? How would you rig it? Purchase so far are 4 360ht Cabelas rod holders, a Lowrance Elite 4, and a Ram mount for it. Things I want to add...trolling motor, navigational lights, battery, anchor cleats, seats, and maybe a spot light. I also plan on using it for duck hunting, so id like most of the fishing stuff to be easily detachable. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Nice little boat!

Technically it's big enough for the 'sippi, but personally I like to ride in something a little bigger. I had a 1648 john boat that I bought down around lacrosse, specifically for the smaller water of the minnesota river. I test drove it out there on the 'sippi and wasn't particularly happy with the way the flat front handled the waves, but if you go slow enough over then and don't try to take them head on, you'll be find.

The 15 horse motor will not move you fast, especially upstream. Keep that in mind when making longer runs. I could see you driving 30-45 minutes one-way easily, so just budget in some extra time. Of course this isn't always true, but there are some long stretches between ramps out there.

I'd get some vertical rod holders so that the rods are not in the way. You can put your rods and your net in there.

Nice little boat!

Technically it's big enough for the 'sippi, but personally I like to ride in something a little bigger. I had a 1648 john boat that I bought down around lacrosse, specifically for the smaller water of the minnesota river. I test drove it out there on the 'sippi and wasn't particularly happy with the way the flat front handled the waves, but if you go slow enough over then and don't try to take them head on, you'll be find.

The 15 horse motor will not move you fast, especially upstream. Keep that in mind when making longer runs. I could see you driving 30-45 minutes one-way easily, so just budget in some extra time. Of course this isn't always true, but there are some long stretches between ramps out there.y

I'd get some vertical rod holders so that the rods are not in the way. You can put your rods and your net in there.

Im hoping I don't have to make to long of runs. I live in Elk River, so I plan on fishing up here mostly. The boat is actually a Mod v so hopefully that helps break the waves a little. I watched a youtube video of this boat with a 9.9 @ 20mph on a lake woth no gear and one guy so it will be interesting to see how it does up stream!

If you are going to be fishing the Miss up by Elk River you should be fine. Water gets pretty shallow up that way around late July - August time frame and your props can take a beating. I wouldn't trick it out too much - keep it light so you can dunk it in at some of the unimproved launch sites. When the water gets low the launches sometimes can't handle the bigger, heavier rigs. With a lighter Jon boat like yours you can drag it in about anyplace. That is a good size for that water. Enjoy your new boat - won't be too much longer and you can test it out.

Im hoping I don't have to make to long of runs. I live in Elk River, so I plan on fishing up here mostly. The boat is actually a Mod v so hopefully that helps break the waves a little. I watched a youtube video of this boat with a 9.9 @ 20mph on a lake woth no gear and one guy so it will be interesting to see how it does up stream!

If you're going to be up that way, then your boat is a perfect size. I was thinking it's a bit small for the barge and pleasure traffic on pool 2 and south further, but up there you won't have those large wakes to deal with. This should be a good boat for that water. As Steve mentioned, you might hit a rock or two here or there, especially later in the year, so be sure to have a spare prop and a prop wrench along for on-the-water repair. (I've needed to do this with my boat and it's much better than calling someone at 2 am for help).

I think the motor for your part of the river is perfect! The semiV helps also,That motor has a shallow drive set that will come in handy for you.Excellent setup and keep it light,I've had to dump the small boat we use on dry ground and drag it to the water,then back to the trailor.

Thanks guys. Im pretty pumped! Hoping to break that 28" Channel cat mark this year. Be nice to catch a Flathead, but probably pretty hard to come by up here. Is it possible to get up the crow at all from the Mississippi? What other fish are worth targeting on the river up here?

Oh, and I got the rod holders mounted, navigation lights installed and wired, graph installed, battery/battery box installed, and I ran an extra set of wires up front for some type of spotlight, any suggestions? Just need a trolling motor, life jackets, anchor(suggestions?), some type of switches for lights...ect., and anchor cleats.

Looks like a great boat My buddy is looking for one just like that for smaller tributaries of the Mississippi like the Vermillion and its backwaters where you have to jump out and pull over sandbars or pole thru mudflats or portage around log jams. He has a couple short shaft evinrude just looking for boat trailer like that. nice score it should do exactly what you need. He uses a s-16 for the bigger river sections. I am partial to downeaster clamp on rod holders for removable applications there are all metal and well respected in the muskie and stripper trolling community so that means they will hold up to the abuse catting dishes out and double c clamp on and off allowing them to placed anywhere on a boat like yours as needed due to how many people,fishing species etc. Congrats nice score.

Mwal

Oh, and I got the rod holders mounted, navigation lights installed and wired, graph installed, battery/battery box installed, and I ran an extra set of wires up front for some type of spotlight, any suggestions? Just need a trolling motor, life jackets, anchor(suggestions?), some type of switches for lights...ect., and anchor cleats.

I'd get a rechargeable LED spotlight. I think it's stanley brand. Plenty bright enough and smaller than a 3 mill candlepower 12v job. I have both, but I use the rechargeable thing more often and don't worry about wires. Like 30 bucks at mallwart, waterproof, floats.

I don't have a recommendation for a type of anchor, but I recommend the list of craig. I have a $70 anchor I bought for $20. It's not new, but still sinks.

If this is your first boat, or if you are otherwise unsure, check the regs for what sort of safety stuff you have to carry. I think at the minimum you'll need an air horn. Boat regs available here: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide.pdf

I don't have a recommendation for a type of anchor, but I recommend the list of craig. I have a $70 anchor I bought for $20. It's not new, but still sinks.

Your used anchor might sink NOW, but what about tomorrow? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable buying a used anchor. Used underwear or deodorant maybe, but anchors? It's a scary prospect. I think they're only rated for a certain number of up/down cycles, and you never know how many the previous owner put on. The sinkodometer might have been rolled back even, so you can't trust that. The last thing you want to happen is to toss that thing overboard and have it float when you really need it to sink. If you're life's on the line, do you really want to wonder "will it sink?".

For anchors we always use water spikes with about 4 feet of heavy chain then rope securely tied on then taped over for a foot or two. The reason we use water spike is they hold in rock sand or mud. and the sliding ring attachment allows you to motor up stream and pull it out at a reverse angle. They are also lite weight and can be taken apart for storage. Also carry a spare navy or mushroom anchor to pin the rear of the boat from moving in the wind. We also attach a float to the main anchor in case we need to chase a beast of a fish we can untie without pulling anchor up and go back to rope and retie. OR if you fish the main Miss or MN and a barge or big boat comes throwing a large wake and you think you may swamp or need to quickly move out of the way in the dark.

Mwal

Here's my .02.. I also use a Jon boat for Cats. (1542 with a 25 Merc.)

1.Put a floor in it, and carpet it, it makes the ride MUCH quieter, and makes the whole boat more user friendly.

2. Since you need a batter for your graph, go buy a 12V port, and mount it in the back of the boat for a spotlight, and cell charger...nothing more annoying than dead spotlight batteries.

3. If you put seats in it, spend the extra $ for high back or even better BIG BOY seats, they're well worth it after all you'll be sitting for extended periods of time!

I've found that with smaller boats organization if the key. I keep a rubber maid bin in the boat with all my stuff in it, life jackets, rod holders, graph head unit, anything I'm not using goes in there, bags of chips, anythig to reduce the clutter!

Also check out tinboats dot net theres a TON of info on mods you can do to a job Boat to make them more comfy!

I have that boat - just older and a 25H on it. I made it a poor mans bassboat with front and rear decks flooring, 80lb thrust Fortrex, dual bank charger, new seats, etc...

Good luck and there are some good cats by Elk River