• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spinners for trout

jmg

Just wondering --what are some of the better spinners to use for trout in the open water season in the "put and take" trout ponds/lakes in the metro. Last open water one I caught was a few yrs. ago with a 1/32 oz. white beetle spin. I was thinking about some panther martins or blue fox or abu reflex, but don't know what sizes or colors are best. Also, do you need a swivel up ahead of the spinner or use a small snap swivel or what? Thanks for any input!

mepps makes a spinner that has a single hook fly on the end, I believe they are 00 size. these have been very hard to find, when I do find them, I get a more than one. last time I found these was at ebners bait in elk river. these work great in streams, and the single hook design is perfect since trebles are not allowed on many streams.

#2 mepps spinners. Whichever colors strike your fancy. I prefer green, black/white, fire tiger, and black/yellow/red.

But don't limit yourself to spinners. Small rapala floating minnows are a must have. As well as 1/4 oz cleo spoons. Gold perch, orange/yellow, and rainbow trout.

zip lures in second smallest size with a swivel...deep winter holes..silver or gold.

Panther martins in the deluxe in silver of gold. Size 6 or 9s. "My favorite"

Mepps Xds are good in size 2. They are a little heavy and need a faster retrieve.

Stick baits are good.

Early season the trout are slow o slow down most retrieves.

I have found single hook spinners to make the spinner work improperly. The treble works as a rudder. I have not found a good single hook spinner.

Thanks for the info. Do you use a swivel in front of these? I would think so because of the potential line twisting.

I use swivels on stick baits not inline spinner.

I have never had any luck with anything smaller than a 2 in mepps 6 in a panther.

We have zero streams over here that don't allow trebles.

Panther Martins are my all-time favorite trout spinner.

In ponds and lakes though, I normally use spoons, cause I can cast them farther than spinners and fish them slow and deep. Trout love em! The Thomas Eel, the Luhr Jensen Super Duper, and the Acme Little Cleo are my favorites. A small duolock snap works well to connect them.

For where I generally fish I use a size 1 or 2 Panther martin in the Classic yellow or black..I have done with and without a swivel.........It should be with a swivel more often if you know what I mean...yuck.