• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallmouth Bass

Rick

I'm not sure of the exact issue, but it was last fall in October. It was an article about fishing smallies in the fall,actually it was both I believe. I thought it was the article where they did the smallie on the top of the page and the largemouth on the bottom half and describe when and where to find each in the fall. The article about the smallies that I mentioned before is kind of an article within that article. Its only about a half page, maybe a full page by some biologist. I'll look tonight for the article, I still have it.

Check out the April-May 2000 issue- an article titled " No Kill Smallmouth" ,answers most of your questions. With out a doubt the best all species magazine around.

Ok here you go. Its from last falls sept-oct issue in the "one cast beyond" section, page 22-26. this guy is some biologist from Canada and its supposed to be the most research that anybody has ever done. Hes done radio tracking, and scuba diving with these fish. Obviously I guy with a lot of time! Check it out.

Hey all,

I'm not sure about you, but I have the itchin' to get fishin' for some of them holy rollers and sky walkin' bronzebacks!!

A little over a month away and I'll be wading one of the finest smallmouth fisheries in the state!! Need to do some additional patching of my cheapo Gander hip-boots(can't afford ANOTHER pair quite yet), make sure I have all of the 1 ot "Owner's", 1/8oz. bullet weights and them tasty 3 inch crawfish ready to go! Oh, can't forget them rapalas, rooster tails and meps now can we! Let's see, oh yah, film! Gotta have film!

Now all I need is bass opener to come my way, hit the river and sneak up on some big sow hovering around her bed! SLAM! Yehaaa, bring it on!!!!!!

Get them rods ready to bend!!!! Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 04-17-2001).]

Jim W,

You would not believe the big Smallie I caught on Tetonka. It was huge. I was fishing for Crappie on the dock at Best Point Resort. It was early in the morning I was all by myself. I only took my ultra light pole out with me not exspecting anything like this to happen. From now on I will always have my scale with me no matter what and my net. I had to take him around the dock up to shore to get the hook out of his mouth. There was nothing I could do but release him right away so I didn't get a weight but he was very big I know over 5lbs.

<>< Mary ><>

Mary,

AWESOME! There is nothing that fights like a bronzie!! Have any idea how long it was? I can pretty much tell you how much it weighed by it's length.
What did you catch it on? Was it a long battle? Did it go air-born for you!?
I love the surprises that often acompany fishing!!! SOunds like your off to a banner year!! Thanks for sharing the story, I love it. Only 3 weeks until I'm wading for smallmouth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and I would have to say that you really "kept your rod bendin'!!!
Jim W

Jim W,

I wish I would of had a tape measure with me but I didn't. I can only guess it was about 20 inches long. It was really fat.

I caught it on a minnow and slip bobber 2lb test line on an ultra light rod and reel. So yes he gave me a great fight. It never came all the way out of the water but it made a couple splashes. I thought for sure when I had to bring him around the dock to shore I would loose him under the dock, but I didn't.

I don't know how long it took me to get him in, but it wasn't to long or the time went by really fast. I do know that I'm not going out fishing again without my trusty little tackle box with the scale and tape measure in it.

One thing I do know for sure is that there are some big Small Mouth Bass in Lake Tetonka and I am going to fish for them alot more this year.

It sure would be nice if we could get the replies on here off that aren't about Small Mouths. I think I counted 10-11 of them.

<>< Mary ><>

Ok, please someone give me some help and/or advice. I am going fishing on Lake Wabedo June 2nd, for a week. I love fishing for smallies, and I know they are in there, but when I was up there last year I only caught 3. Please give me some tips or advice as to where to fish for them, what to use, how deep, what time, anything. I tried everything, but could not find them. Please help, thanks...

Keep Casting.....

I don't know about the spawn, but the Smallies were sure biting on Lake Wabedo, June 2nd - June 9th. Using tubes, small Risto Raps, and small Fat Raps. The best spot was the Rusty Rock Pile, at 8:30pm to 11:30pm, in total darkness. I caught 7 Smallies that were pushing 3 pounds, and several smaller ones. They usually started biting when the sun went down, in about 5 to 6 feet. I love catching Smallies, they are the best!!

I live in the Mankato area, and no lakes around here have them, that I know of. Tetonka has a few, but I have never caught one there. Does anyone know if there are any lakes close to Mankato, that have Smallmouths in them??? Why doesn't the DNR stock more lakes around here with Smallies?? I know they could survive down here.

By the way, there was a Bass Tournament on Tetonka this past Saturday, my friend fished it and placed 6th. I went to the weigh-in and personally saw 8 Smallmouths weighed in, the biggest was about 2 pounds......

KEEP CASTING >>>>

Hey BigBassFreak, A couple of years ago one of the Minnesota specific fishing magazines stated that the Blue Earth River below the Rapidan Dam had been stocked with smallies. I'm formerly from Lake Crystal, but live near Rochester now and I've not had the opportunity to check this information out personally. You might want to stop in at the Dam Store and see if they can give you any additional information. I understand that a canoe trip from just below the dam is not a beginner trip so you may want to investigate that too before you load up with all your best gear. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out for you.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

Thanks for the info Big_Lew, I'll have to check into that. I have a friend that lives close to the Rapidan Dam, but he dosn't fish very much.

KEEP CASTING >>>>

I'm from Nebraska and have taken a few trips in the the boundary waters. i never caught many smallmouth until my last trip, mostly because i was trying for walleye and pike. i am hoping to take another trip later on in the month and was wondering if any of you knew on what lakes and how to find smallies in the BWCA. any help is appreciate.

Nebraska boy with minnesota hopes

Hey guys, I was hoping for some help finding fish in the Fargo area. If anyone knows of a good place for smallies within a couple hours drive of Fargo it'd be of great help. I don't own a boat so if anyone knows of good river fishing that'd be ideal or if there is a good place to fish from shore in the area, please let me know

thanks

SOUTH EAST MINNESOTA SMALLMOUTH ALLIANCE (SEMSA) will be meeting again this Wednesday, August 8, at Sandy Point Supper Club. We begin to gather around 6:30 with the meeting starting at about 7 p.m. If you met some of us at the fair or you would like to find out more about us, this meeting would be an excellent opportunity to "get your feet wet'. One of the topics of discussion will be the upcoming river clean-up project.
Please feel free to join us and bring a fishing friend with you.

------------------
Fish On!
Big Lew

Hey guys, I was looking for a little help on catching smallies.I fish on a small lake in ND (Brewer lake). I'm pretty new to the hole bass scene, I grew up catching Walleyes. Anyway, its a small lake with a sandy bottom. the area where I fish is pretty shallow, with a weedline in about 2 feet of water, it then drops off to around 5 feet of water with another weedline. I've had some success running spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, but its really sporadic. I don't have a boat, so its been from shore, there have been other people fishing the same area with other types of lures, they don't seem to be very successful however. The bite seems to come and go, I'll catch 2 fish, right away then go 2 hours without a bite and then hit 3 in a half hour. I've been wading in to fish, which makes things a lot easier because of a steep bank, does this spook the fish and limit my hits?. I've also tried to use tubes with a bullet weight, with limited success. Any advice or ideas on fishing this type of structure, what time of day is most likely the best?

If anybody knows anything about Brewer lake and could give advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Hello,
try slowing your presentation down. Try throwing some plastics, preferrably whatever is common forage in that body of water. Cawfish etc. Look for subtle changes in depth and structure. If there are smallies in there that would be a good spot to start. Especially if there is cover or current!!!

Try high sun times of day when directing towards cover etc. The the less subtle changes in structure during low light periods!!
I hope this helps!!! Nothin like wading for bronzies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 08-16-2001).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Is this topic worthy of it's own forum.

Let's hear from you small mouth bass anglers.

Rick, I think so. I started a Top 5 Smallmouth Fisheries in the Open Water Forum and replies have been constant. Others seem interested too. Smallmouth fishing is one of my favorites. I'm all for a smally forum.
Good Fishing, Matt

I know with out a shadow of a doubt that most of my friends enjoy fish'n smallies more than any other fish. Even though their time on the water speaks only of walleyes... it all comes back to the fight of a beautiful bronzy. Green Lake is one of my favorites, but I've seen some beauties come out of some Brainerd lakes as well. I'm itchen to try Koronis and Nest for a potential local trophy... any help out there?? I like to jig mostly, with a powergrub or a finnese worm. A so simple bare bones method I think. I can't wait!
DC