• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips for chain install?

Sportland_Bait

I've heard it works to let some of the air out of the tires but haven't tried that. This year I put the chains on and got the clips set but they were not on the correct links so I drove it back and forth about 15 feet and then they hooked up easy.

I jack mine up so I can more easily get them evenly spaced around and underneath the tires. The hardest part for me when I put mine on is to get each set of bars evenly spaced - the clasps on the inside and outside of the wheel won't latch on mine until they are spaced out right. I've let air out too and that helps get them on, but the last couple years, I haven't done that because I found that once they are spaced evenly, they go on pretty easily. When I let the air out, they fit on too easily and I ended up with uneven bars and had to re-tarp strap them on the ice after they shifted and got too loose.

I don't have a Polaris, but I've heard to be careful with chains on the front because there is not a lot of clearance between the inside of the wheel and things to get the chains tangled up on.

Ditto on the zip ties and the rubber bungee's.

I only put the chains on the back and I have the front tires studded for the ice. I do not use mine all that much in the deep snow, more for pulling my house on the thinner ice during the early, thin ice period for getting my house or portable around.

Tha chains help pull great and the studs sure help with the turning.

if I were going to use the wheeler alot in the deep snow, then I would chain up the front end also.

I normally let some air out if the tires and get the chains on. I never thought about taking the wheel off. That would be a whole lot easier to get everything straight and tight. I also bought some ATV chains tighteners at Fleet Farm and they work well. Basically a ring in the center with 4 spring going out to the tire chains on the outside of the wheel.