• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best 'Starter' bows for Women?

Cobber

Happy 2014, all-

The little lady is interested in getting into bow hunting, and we've started the process here so she can get plenty of hours logged on targets here getting familiar, comfortable and dialed in shooting a bow.

My plan is to go to Shafer's to get her sized up for the appropriate draw length, weight, etc.. however my question is if anybody has recommendations (or bows to shy away from), or personal experiences as we begin our search for her?

I'm very familiar with the industry and am a long-time archery guy myself so I can get most of it covered, but like I said- just looking for some insights as far as specific brands/models that may do the trick better than others?

Thanks all!

-Cobber

My daughter wanted a new bow for Christmas. I decided to take the wife to shoot some different bow to see which one she thought we should get for the daughter. We shot the mission craze, I believe it was the bear apprentice , and the diamond infinate edge. After shooting them all we ended up getting two infinate edges because the wife wants to start shooting now. She did say that the mission craze was a very close second. I also shot the infinate edge earlier this year and liked it and the adjustability on these bows are amazing. 15-30 inch draw I believe and 5-70 pounds draw weight. So those are my two reccomendations.

Look at the Diamond series.

My wife shot the Razors edge for a few years.

I believe you can get it in RTS package for around $350.

It looks like they are not making that name anymore, but now it looks like it is called the Infinite.

Draw length from 13"-30"

Draw weight from 5-70lbs.

Quite the range on both. a bow for a very long time of shooting.

Hi Cobber,

I've got a few questions: 1) how is she built- stocky and strong or petite and not overly strong?, 2) how tall is she?, 3) what is her wingspan?, 4) what is your price range?, 5) are you only looking for will you consider used?, 6) do you know someone in the archery industry who works at an archery shop who you are very confident really knows what he's talking about and you trust?

If she's not very tall and not overly strong she'll probably do well to go with a bow made for women or youth. If she's got a longer draw length and is fairly strong I'm personally biased towards going with a bow that's not marketed for specifically for women. If you give me some answers to the questions above I'll try give a couple/few specific bows that I'd be looking for.

Scoot-

Thanks for the help!

She's about average build as far as 'size' goes, but she's rather athletic. I wouldn't say overly strong, however probably a bit above average for a woman of her size.

Height: 5' 6"

Wingspan: 66.5"

Price Range isn't really an issue.. Given, I've got a Carbon Element RKT myself and we don't want to be spending that kind of money for it- but if we can get into a much nicer bow for a little extra money, we'll do it.

I'd consider used, but just thought that I'd have my work cut out for me searching for a used bow that'll fit her right. Also, since it's her first and we need to gear her up fully I was thinking about a proshop.

I do have some guys that I really trust, I work with Shafer Archery for all of my stuff and they have proven themselves over and over.. I haven't needed TOO much guidance myself, but when I'm there shooting or whatnot- I've seen them give a lot of help and show a lot of knowledge with customers.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I appreciate the help from everybody!

-Cobber

OK, here's the abbreviated version of what I typed earlier-- I'd take her to the bowshop you know and let them help you. However, if it was my wife, I'd be looking at 40-50 or 50-60 lb bows with relatively short ATA- somewhere in the 30-33 inch range (it's up to you to decide if that's a short ATA, but that's what I consider shorter and what I believe would be a good fit for her given your info).

With about a 26.5" drawlength, she's sort of a "tweener" as far as me thinking she'd be best served by a women's/youth bow or a men's bow. Given that she's fairly athletic and it sounds like reasonably strong, I'd lean heavily towards a men's bow personally. If I could convince my wife to bowhunt, which I absolutely can't, I'd have her in a 32 or 33 inch men's bow for sure. My wife is a little taller than yours, but the general description sounds similar otherwise.

You could always go with a Carbon Rose from Bowtech to make your bow and her bow more equal... laugh

So my recommendation is a men's bow in low 30's, but not lower than about 31". There are lots of good bows out there that fit that bill and if you go to your proshop and ask for something with those criteria, you'll have lots of options. If you let her shoot them and pick the one she likes best, you'll be doing yourself, and her, a favor. That way she can pick out HER bow.

Also, don't overbow her. If she can draw 50 lbs, but it's tough for her, don't try get her started at that kind of weight. That's a big no no and it's easy to do.

Sorry for the lack of a specific bow name. I could offer up several, but I think you'd be better off going to the place you know, giving them the criteria you're looking for, letting them tell you the options available that meet those criteria, then letting her shoot and select one.

Good luck! Have fun with it and get her a deer this Fall!!!

You know us ladies love a nice Diamond! And being as I am a lady myself I can attest to the Diamond Infinite Edge. It is lightweight, comes ready to use (you can upgrade if you like), reasonably priced and adjustable. Made under the Bowtech brand, its reputable as well. I bought the Diamond Razr 3 years ago and love love love it. The Infinite Edge is up the same alley.

When you take her to the shop, have her shoot one. They are fast as well, even with the lower draw weights.

just my .02

I will throw my two cents in to give another woman's perspective. I just upgraded this year from a Parker Challenger that I had for 14 years. I went with a Hoyt Charger and I love it. I have it set at 48 lbs and it is very smooth drawing. It also killed two deer this year so that's probably it's best endorsement :-)

Cobber, check out the hoyt ignite. It has a 19" - 30" draw lenght and a 15 - 70 lbs and it's a fair price. Otherwise check out the hoyt charger. You can get it with 30-40 lb, 40-50 lb and one up limbs. I actually just boyt my wife the charger today. She like the ignite and charger a lot and couldn't decide what to get so i am suprising her. If you have time and live close to. Head up to cabin fever in victoria. They have both those bows hanging on there racks.