• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tricks on seeing bottom

deerhunter

According to the rule book it is not legal to put anything down the hole.

but I have heard of guys using egg shells ,white beans, white stone, clamshells, potato peels, but again this is illegal and should not be practiced.

I however would ask your local CO what his thoughts are on it, that's what I did a couple of years back and he said that you could toss a few egg shells in the hole but don't go overboard.

What if you took a piece of white lattice work fencing weighted it and had a couple wire loops with bobber's so you could snag with your spear tine to retrieve when done?

Mwal

That exact question was proposed to the DNR by a member here and the answer he got back was "NO"

This is one of those deals where several answers have been given by the DNR over the years. The letter of the law is exactly what Gordie posted. If I was concerned about it I would call the co in the area you're spearing and get their opinion.

You might wanna ask yourself; but this is the answer I got a couple years ago now.

Not a definitive no; but more negative than positive...

Quote:

Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 3:15 PM

To: Watts, Pat M (DNR)

Subject: Potatoes or egg shells in darkhouse spearing hole

Is it legal to use potatoes, egg shells, white beans, rice, or other inert biodegradable items on lake bottom under the darkhouse spearing hole?

How about non inert items such as pvc pipe or latice to better judge the size of northern pike in the hole as long as those items are removed after use every day?

Thanks

Merk

To: MERK;

Subject: RE: Potatoes or egg shells in darkhouse spearing hole

Sent: Mon, Apr 12, 2010 8:24:25 PM

There’s a potential problem with littering under Minnesota Statutes, section 609.68.  Too much biodegradable stuff put into/on the lake can cause problems as it degrades.  Pipe or lattice could be considered litter as well. 

Pat Watts, DNR Enforcement Division, St Paul MN

Every CO I have ever spoken with told me it is ok as long as you do not go over board with it and as long as you are using something natural that does not harm the fish or the lake. That being said, they can fine you for it if they choose as the regs say you cannot put anything down the hole. I have used potatoes in the past as well as egg shells. The last few years I have just been spearing on lakes clear enough where you do not need them. That seems easier!

Here is the response I received when I asked in 08.

Kevin Kyle <[email protected]>

12/1/08

to me

A hand full or two to break up the bottom a bit is okay, a bucket load dumped would not be. Kevin

>>> "me" <[email protected]> 11/29/2008 12:55 PM >>>

Are there any regulations regarding using eggshells or potatoes down the

hole while spearing?

Thanks