• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled issues

BRULEDRIFTER

Ok, here's the lowdown.... I don't know Jack about snowmobiles!

I bought a 2005 Arctic Cat Panther (fan cooled) back in October. When I bought it, it fired up and ran beautifully. Then it sat until a few weeks ago when a friend came over (that knows snowmobiles) to show me the in's and out's of basic operation and maintenance. Again, it fired right up (did notice a squealing in the starter though, so I'm probably going to have to get that fixed at some point soon). We ran it for a while, never left the garage, but we jacked up the back and ran it for a bit.

Then last week, I fired it up, put it in reverse, backed it out of the garage, put it in drive and as I applied pressure to the throttle it bogged down and almost died. It proceeded to do that a few times until it finally went. So I drove it around the block, and the whole time it would bog down, then run good, bog down, run good then when I got it back to the garage it died and wouldn't start again. I let it sit and haven't got around to looking at it until tonight. Well, it started eventually and ran for a while, then died. I have managed to get it started every once in a while, but it dies immediately after it starts.

What is wrong?

I put new plugs in it tonight and that didn't help. The only things I have done with it since the last time it ran just fine was top off the oil reservoir, added Seafoam to the gas and changed the plugs today (all things that shouldn't affect how it runs).

Now, the gas that is in the tank was the gas that was in the machine when I bought it. There is almost 3/4 of a tank and I'm not sure if it was treated with Stabill or not.

Can bad gas be the problem?

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'll probably need to get it to a shop, once I figure out how to get it on the trailer...

Thanks for any help! I can't tell you how bummed I am after spending all that money on my new toy only to not even be able to use it.

Drain ALL the gas, and start with fresh non-oxy.

It probably just needs the carbs cleaned too, but bad gas can do that. I just got a quote on getting my triple carbs cleaned, and at about $320 plus any parts, I will try it myself. A twin is easy to do.

Good luck, others here can help you more, I am still rookie but I do try the basic things myself and have found sleds to be not too hard to work on, even for a non-mechanic.

BoxMN has some good ideas there, always good to start the season with some fresh gas, besides the main jet in the carb, there should be a small idle jet in there too, if that get's gummed up or plugged, that can cause some issues.

Cat also has a kill switch located on the throttle pivot pin on you're handlebar, it's inside the handlebar assembly, not the kill switch you see on top of the handlebar.

There use be 2 plastic ' washers ' between the throttle lever and the handlebar, if those wear out ( which they do ) it will cause issues like you describe. A quick way to test it is to unhook you're kill switch ( they are all connected ), it's a 2 prong plug located on your steering post, you might have to undo the cover on your handlebar and split that styrofoam chunk ( should be taped together ), just unplug it and take it for a spin.

Mike

Make sure the fuel shut off is not closed. Most guys shut off the gas for summer storage and it would cause the problems you describe. First thing I would check, then follow the other good advice.

Make sure the fuel shut off is not closed. Most guys shut off the gas for summer storage and it would cause the problems you describe. First thing I would check, then follow the other good advice.

That's a good point too considering you just bought the sled, that shutoff is located pretty close to your oil reservoir, should be a small red lever there, also, there should be an inline fuel filter close by, wouldn't hurt to check that and make sure it's clean and the fuel flow arrow is pointing the right direction.

Mike

Brule, dude don't want to hear this! I just bought a 2004 570 Panther just last week and it is still sitting on the trailer until this weekend when I may run up to Orrock by Zimmerman and run around. The first two things I have done with it so far right after I got it home was change the plugs and drain the gas the other guy had. I never trust what other people may have in their tank from last year. There could be a lot of water build up in the tank from sitting all summer which doesn't burn to well and I wonder if that maybe what is going on with yours right now. frown

If you have a snowmobile with carbs you better learn how to clean them or it will cost you. I clean mine on all my sleds before the season starts and half the time I find junk in them. I think gas station tanks get run lower these days and the junk that settles on the bottom gets stirred up and pumped out. Maybe even ethanol keeps it from sticking to the bottom. Either way carbs with small jets equals big problems. Lots of info and videos can be found on the net to clean carbs and it is pretty easy after you have done a couple.