• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting over water sources

woodsmaven

With the freezing temperatures right now, and no snow on the ground, I'm wondering if breaking open some ice on a pond to hunt over it would be a good strategy for bagging a deer. Deer have to drink too, right? Most of the area I hunt is swamp and forests with no lakes or streams nearby. In addition, do you think deer can smell the open water if I do this?

I think it would be more work than its worth. I read a good article in D&DH talking about how deer require less water than you think and they can get the majority of what they need from food or browse - or frost on the ground in the morning this time of year. They will visit or use manmade or created water sources. But they won't make it their prime destination unless there's a drought.

Deer need very little water, except during drought. I would think that would be way more trouble than it's worth. With these temps, you'd have to reopen the hole daily, if not more and would have all the deer alerted to your presence. I'd opt to hunt near food or cover instead.

Agree with above, even if you do open up a spot it will freeze that night and the deer won't find it in time. Even in the coldest temps I can find warm spots in the swamp, likely some kind of spring or something that keeps that spot soft. They are all over the place and I'm sure the deer use them when needed.

Please don't take any offense to this but the scenario reminds me of the two duck hunters who made the national news a few years back because they decided to create open water by dynamiting a large hole in the middle of a lake. All was going according to plan until their dog grabbed the stick of dynamite in his jaws and proceeded to run away from the pursuing hunters until he found safety under their very expensive, brand new SUV that after the big KABLOOM, sank to the bottom of the lake. Didn't hear if they got any ducks afterward. shocked

No doubt, they don't drink much from my perch, 29 years hunting right near a creek and have seen 1 fawn take a drink. I think heat of the summer and drought conditions for sure and then again about January-the coldest stretch of winter. I have a trailcam on an open spring of water in my swamp and that spot is the spot will get thousands of pictures there like usual as they winter in there, good to keep tabs on my tcam as it usually is filled to capacity with pictures or the rare batteries died, Moultrie is superior in regards to cold weather tcamin. Massive trail right to it and found a 2nd spring I was kinda unaware of but shed hunting went wow here to and it was caked with tracks. Is this a wild thought I mean anything green holds some water and corn often is holding some moisture so the need to drink is overrated some generally when we have our hunting seasons.

Not true, too bad would have been funny. I do feel better about the dog. grin

http://www.snopes.com/critters/cruelty/dynamite.asp

Dangit. Last time I trust my uncle and his daily spam e-mails. lol. I get like a dozen a day and I remember that one clearly. I will have to pay closer attention.