• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Twins Off-season Free Agent Signings

Big Dave2

Quote:
Twins Making Strong Push For Ricky Nolasco

By Steve Adams [November 15, 2013 at 7:55am CST]

The Twins are making a strong push for Ricky Nolasco, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Yesterday afternoon, it was reported that Nolasco had a pair of four-year offers, although as recently as last night, reports out of the Twin Cities indicated that Minnesota had yet to make an offer.

ESPN's Buster Olney wrote yesterday that the Twins are highly active on the market for pitching this offseason and plan to add at least two solid veteran starters. They've also been one of the most aggressive teams in pursuit of Bronson Arroyo to this point.

Nolasco, 31 in December, finished the season with a 3.70 ERA, 7.5 K/9, 2.1 BB/9 and a 43 percent ground-ball rate in 199 1/3 innings. He's not an ace, but he would be a boost to a Twins rotation that posted the worst ERA (5.26), K/9 (4.9) and innings total (871) in all of Major League Baseball last season. Nolasco comes with the added benefit of having been traded midseason, meaning he was ineligible to receive a qualifying offer and therefore won't cost a draft pick. His agent, Matt Sosnick, recently explained his strong relationship with the Twins and GM Terry Ryan to Parker Hageman of Twins Daily.

Now the Twinks just need to find that coveted No. 1 starter and they will be set... as far as the starting rotation is concerned any way.

With the addition of Hughes and Nolasko, and the approx $20 mill a year those two will get, what in their recent history makes you think they will spend any more for pitching? crazy I believe they will try to patch up the rest of the rotation with guys they've already got on the roster.

I think the most important thing now is signing someone who can drive in runs, because believe me, I don't care how good the starting rotation is if they can only score 2 or 3 runs a game, you're not going to win very many games..