• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smart Phone Vs Tablet

I have been told from many people from local business owners,friends and family that the tablet is the way to go for most of the same needs I have for a smart phone.My smart phone is a file cabinet for business and personal.Apps are there for everything and I can take pictures and up load them all from the same device.Other than typing what is the advantage of a tablet over smart phone?

I suppose if you did a fair amount of spreadsheet/word processor work or basic graphic editing the larger screen that a tablet can offer would be beneficial in those regards.

Using the internet on a smartphone is fine for a while but it is nice to be able to hold a larger screen if you're going to be surfing for longer periods of time. Less scrolling and zooming too.

Watching video is also easier on a tablet, once again due to the larger screen size.

A tablet is essentially just a super sized smartphone, minus the telephony capabilities. Maybe the tablets with an optional cellular modem allow for that too. I've had an iPad and now a Galaxy Tab but neither had the modem so I'm not sure if that is even possible but never looked into it.

I've got the best of both worlds, the Samsung Galaxy Note. Larger than a standard smartphone, yet as long as you don't wear skinny jeans it fits in your pocket.

IMO typing on a tablet is painfully slow unless you have an external keyboard, but then you may as well get a laptop.

The phone has two advantages over a tablet. First, it can do phone stuff like talk and text. Second, it is way easier to take with you so you always have it. (you need a phone anyway)

The tablet has the advantage of a larger display, and perhaps the ability to connect external devices like a keyboard or expansion storage. But the display is the biggest one.

On the other hand, perhaps a laptop or ultrabook would be a better fit than either.

I bought a 10.1 Motorola tablet last fall, thinking I would use it in the truck for work.

I have a Samsung S4 (had a Motorola Razr Maxx) and I ALWAYS use my phone for everything, to the point I think I used about 4gb / year on the tablet, I use about 10gb / data on my phone / month.

Biggest reason is I have my phone with me everywhere, not just when it's convenient to pull a tablet out.

With that said, when we bought our 8 year old a tablet, we got him a Samsung 7", which is the way I would go for myself if I bought one again. Too hard to type on the 10".

The phone has two advantages over a tablet. First, it can do phone stuff like talk and text.

I text with my Samsung Galaxy tablet with a free app. The keys on phones are too small for me. Works great. I can also make phone calls with my tablet using Google Talk and another app. The quality isn't the best but it does work.

Ended up buying 2 tablets.One for my wife and one for my 4yr old grl.My little girl figured it out fast.She amazes me sometimes.I decided to not buy one for myself.The smart phone has everything I need in a compact way.Phone,internet , file storage, camera,etc.easier for me to just put the device in my pocket vs having a bigger thing to carry around.Just me

I carry a Samsung Note 3 (almost a tablet) and use it for just about everything - I did get a Dell Venue 8 Android for Xmas this year and that is pretty much all I use at home now - it's a killer tablet for the price point and the 8 inch form factor is IMHO the sweet spot, you get 30% more screen then a 7 inch yet it is still palm-able. As for the keyboard I use Swype on both devices and don't see myself changing any time soon.

As long as you only need to check on the weather and your email when you're on the road, a tablet is much more convenient. Also, they can probably handle the trip better. I used to take my laptop on the road with me and eventually the display went weird on me, especially when I bumped it. I'm thinking it wasn't a real hardy road warrior. I'm not concerned about the tablet.