• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Would like you opinion on these 2 shots.

I am looking for an opinion on two shots, I am wondering if you prefer them color or Black and White. B&W conversions done with Nik Silver Efx 2.0

First One, is a bend on the Buffalo River:

153258640.jpg

Color:

153201766.jpg

2nd one is of a weed, with great Bokeh. I did do a drastic crop on the B&W version.

153258638.jpg

color:

153201765.jpg

Let me have it Dan, Blast away!! smile I am mainly looking for the color vs B&W on each image, and I have made my decision to print. I made a competition print on some nice matte paper of the silk flower. But as an avid competition photographer in both the print and digital medium, it is always nice to take some critique. I know there are some obvious things wrong with the river picture as my focus point seemed to hit the base line and not the forground, but at the time wasn't really planning on submitting the image to N4C but it received numerous favorable reports on FB. I needed however some good images for print, especially in the bw categories, and when I printed the silk flower on a very heavy matte paper it just pops, but as with any thing, there are always ways to improve.

I haven't posted much in the last year because I have been so busy, but when I do post I appreciate the critiques etc.

So Open invitation. BLAST AWAY!!

The black and white in the first pic seems to lose a little depth due to the natural framing by the foreground trees dominating the whole scene rather than complimenting it. Still, I like the black and white version because the color version mainly has blues, oranges and a little blacks and is sort of a color monotone. Maybe try cropping a little of the left side of the photo (b&w) so the oxbow becomes a little more of a curve leading into the photo. It might make it look just a bit less busy too.

I love black and white version of the second. The cropping is nice and tight and the strands of silk really pop. Those things beg for black and white photography.

Both neat shots, I like 'em.

Paul,

The oxbow shot for me has no central focus or something for my eye to grab on to. I believe this shot from the rivers edge without any foreground distraction from the weeds and trees would make this composition stronger. The reflections from the background trees in the water would provide a powerful yet subtle image. Less would provide more for me in this shot.

In both the BW and color shots the shadows are blocked with no detail. This shot begs for more dynamic range through careful processing or a muted HDR shot. The BW shows significant haloing around the edges of the trees in the sky and the color version has an unnatural strong golden hue.

The second shot I do prefer the cropped version though i don't believe the BW adds to the shot. A color version of the cropped shot with its muted background and subtle tones in the milkweed (?) for me would make for a more dynamic shot.

Thanks as always for your contributions to this site!