• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rutting Moon

FISHINGURU

This years prediction is a trickle rut because of the Nov 17th Rutting Moon.

"A trickle rut, according to Charles Alsheimer, is one that ebbs and flows for several weeks, without a distinct “peak” of activity. In the case of this year, it is predicted that a small number of does will cycle into estrus 1-3 weeks after the October full moon (Oct 18). This will lead to intermittent “rutting behavior” during the end of October and first few weeks of November. But then by November 15th, activity will ramp up leading to the so-called “rutting moon” on November 17th."

"Charles predicts that the 7-10 days after November 15th will see the most “chasing” occurring, leading to a peak in visible activity. Then the bulk of actual breeding will occur from November 20th through the 30th. Per the article, “if you can pick one week to hunt this year, it should be from Nov 14 through the 21st, because bucks will be on the move”

I have been following this for like 10 yrs and most yrs it seems pretty accurate from a hunting standpoint, now to sure on the actual breeding aspect though. I think the breeding part is still happening around the same time but it happens at night so us hunters don't see it happening. When everything else lines up its intense and during the day so we actually see it.

From people on here and other forums to friends and family I've been talking to it has been super slow this year, just think today would normally be gun opener so the best week for us bow hunters to be out would of been this past week, which from my stands has been one of the worst years ever lol.

Thankfully we have another week this year to try and get er did, I'm guessing for it to be a good year for the orange army, which I might be a part of this season unless it picks up very soon.

What is your guys thoughts on this?

I've been reading his predictions for years as well. I'd say that I see some fairly close correlation about 50% of the time. But I think he may be onto something this year. Everything I'm hearing (sporadic reports of activity) and seeing (only does last weekend and one spike this morning so far) tells me this is one of the slowest starts I've seen in a long time. All the standing corn isn't helping either, other than it will save a lot of deer from the orange army. I'm tempted to switch some vacation around and try to hunt more a bit later.

I think Charles is onto something with the moon stuff but its more about individual does swinging into heat early and late by the moon than the peak of the entire rut. I stick to photoperiod in northern mn, the further south you go the more sporatic it can be. Up north if the timing isn't right most of the fawns die, less of that the further you do.

That can depend on the spring, even on average northern mn will still have snow on the ground a month or more later than southern mn. Even central mn and northern mn seem worlds apart as far as snow and spring temps.

My only issue with the moon thing is every year Charles predicts and early or late rut I still see the usual action on those same set of days in early to mid nov. However when he predicts an early rut I do seem to find more rut activity in late oct. Maybe its jus the words he uses, something about the moon triggering the rut that I don't buy. I just kind of go by the bell curve and hope I am in the right place to catch any early rutting action.

In Minnesota, most hunters will never experience an "intense rut", regardless of conditions, because the age structure of our bucks is horrible.

If lucky, you may experience "AN event" rather than a rut wild woods that can be seen in other areas.

I think Charles is somewhat accurate overall... I just don't think his theories have much validity here.

Bottom line... Oct.25-Dec. 1... if you can be in the tree, be in the tree! Its as good a shot as youre gonna have.

You nailed it there Slim. I was involved early on in the argument for APR or some sort of regulation that allows our bucks to get older to improve the age structure. It's part of the "health of the herd" argument that no one wants to listen to because they insisted on taking the meaning of the word literally as in they're sick. I quit because I got tired of banging my head against the wall. Those who have never experienced what a great rut can be (Iowa for example) will never buy in, because they don't know. But the fact is that a deer herd dominated by immature bucks will never display what it can truly be like, except maybe they see it in spurts as Bear suggests and that's enough for them. Glad to see it at least gained some traction in SE MN.

Yeah that's the reason I started bowhunting 17 yrs or so ago. I like the idea of being stealthy and hunting them on their natural movements. When out gun hunting in my area after the first hour you're hunting deer on the run but you always have that chance of being lucky and getting a big one.

The way bowhunting is taking off it might be like that all season now lol.

So how is this sporadic trickle rut treating you guys? This has to be the slowest rut I've seen in a long time.

Seen a 6 pointer on Sunday and a decent 130ish 8 pointer I passed on tonight. Haven't seen a big boy at all yet this season.

The 2014 Rutting Moon is on Nov.6th, I'm thinking that will treat us better lol.

It's making it real hard to try to figure out when to take vacation or prioritize being in the woods, that's for sure. I decided not to hunt this a.m. because of 12 degree temps, in favor for an afternoon hunt..... and saw nothing. I was amazed at how few rubs/scrapes I saw when tracking the buck I shot last Thursday/Friday. There's nothing we can do about it but keep hunting and hope to be in the right place at the right time. Normally I'd feel like I'm running out of time but it's hard to say at this point.

I guess Im not totally happy because ive been hunting hard in MN and have not seen a legit Poper, but I have seen a lot of activity from 2 1/2 and younger bucks. I did get pictures of a 5 1/2 year old buck in the snow on Oct.26 in daylight behind a doe. That's the first pic ive ever gotten of him in shooting hours.

GURU if you seen a 130 then youre doing alright in MN! I just hope to SEE one like that each year let alone get a shot!grin

Lots of rut left and im only looking for one... The right one! It'll happen, just gotta keep at it!

Good luck fellas!

Bottom line... Oct.25-Dec. 1... if you can be in the tree, be in the tree! Its as good a shot as youre gonna have.

I agree, from Halloween to Thanksgiving you need to spend as much time as possible in the woods. Twice in my life I've seen bucks with a doe 'cornered' on Thanksgiving day. One was one of the nicest bucks I've ever seen on the hoof, I still regret not going after him but I was hosting Thanksgiving that day....

As far as the moon phases theory, I don't know, I think cooler weather has as much or more affect on the rut. Remember these bucks have their 'winter coats' on, any temps past 35 and its not going to take long for them to heat up and lay down.

GURU if you seen a 130 then youre doing alright in MN! I just hope to SEE one like that each year let alone get a shot!grin

Good luck fellas!

No kidding! That's about all a guy can ask for around here. Saw another 8pt crushed on the hwy this morning. I have seen my biggest bucks on cam the 2nd half of November. Not nearly as much activity, but mature deer. There's still hope...

I live in and hunt around some of the biggest buck areas in MN (not bragging just lucky) There are plenty of 130" class deer, I'm holding out for a 150-160", that world record 8 pointer that was poached is within a couple miles from one of the lands I've hunted since I began to hunt 20 yrs ago. I've known about them big genetics back in the 90's.

Warmer weather does naturally slow down some deer movement but I doubt it's going to be a factor when a doe goes into estrous or from stopping a buck from getting up to go breed. My dog don't like hot weather either but if there is a female in heat he'll go all day.

Plenty of hope still left guys but its taking way longer then we would have liked to get things going hehe. It's funny how we get so pumped all year and then lose hope so fast. I lose alot of faith after gun season but we all know they are still there and are still going to breed and then when it's all done have to eat.

I was never much of a believer in a lot of the so called experts, but I would have to say, in this case, Alsheimer nailed it. I have never seen such a slow rut. Everybody is saying the same thing, lots of does still with fawns, lots of small bucks, not a lot of big bucks at all. Some, but nothing like past years.

In past years, I've went out and had deer just destroy wood edges. I have seen absolutley nothing even remotely close to that. I hunted very hard last week and saw lots of does with only some smaller bucks being sighted. A few nice 125 inch 8's, but they all had small bodies and were only 2.5 years old. I did not see a mature buck until last Tuesday when the temps got really cold.

Call me a non-believer in a way. I saw 12 bucks, 7 does, 1 fawn in the 2 days, 5 does were being chased and the woods were just destroyed with rubs and scrapes, my t-cam stated Nov. 7th was a real peak for daylight buck movement, all hours of the day, 1 scrape several bucks checking it a hot doe urinated in that scrape Nov. 1st and man did the bucks come check that scrape. A few Buffalo county Wisc. guides that monitor everything claim Oct. 10th-15th every year is the first doe going into heat on their lands. For me it's just about your location, how many breedable does are around, for me this year plenty because the standing corn food source was right there, 240 acres of it so the does were leading the bucks into the swamp for the cat and mouse game.

Musky, I understand what you are saying but I think for your one case of "normalcy" there are 10 hunters who are saying the opposite...OK, ten might be high but you get my point. I am just reading too many reports and talking to too many other hunters (not too mention my experiences so far) to not shake my head at how this year has played out.

The thing that I find the strangest is lack of scrapes and rubs. I understand I may not get the deer sightings because I hunt very thick stuff but the lack of sign is very odd. Oh well, nothing else that I can do but hunt, oh darn !

Musky, I understand what you are saying but I think for your one case of "normalcy" there are 10 hunters who are saying the opposite...OK, ten might be high but you get my point. I am just reading too many reports and talking to too many other hunters (not too mention my experiences so far) to not shake my head at how this year has played out.

The thing that I find the strangest is lack of scrapes and rubs. I understand I may not get the deer sightings because I hunt very thick stuff but the lack of sign is very odd. Oh well, nothing else that I can do but hunt, oh darn !

I don't mind the trickle rut! I will wait for a dandy buck and will just have to hunt more with the muzzy and late bow if I don't connect this weekend.

That's the spirit!! Exactly my plan.

Went out this morning until noon and seen 7 deer, 2 fawns together, a giant mom with her 2 fawns, and 2 seperate solo does. Thought forsure a nice buck would eventually show up with all that tender meat around me but ran out of time and had to head out.

The wind this season for me has been sickening.

I still haven't seen the dead deer on the roads around here like normal and have not heard or seen the big bucks being taken. Other years my phone would of been blown up weeks ago with text pics and stories. I know big bucks are still getting taken but they seem far and few between......so far.....muahahahaha...muahahahaha....mauahahahahahahaha

Out of all the days, I think tomorrow (Friday the 15th) is the day to be in the woods. The forecast is calling for a pretty calm day (wind 5-10mph) Partly cloudy. Temps at 45 (scent will carry easily). The moon is almost full. And there is a pretty big storm rolling in (deer activity will increase). It would probably be a good idea to sit all day if you can.

All the stars are in line :-) Good Luck!