• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp Ripley Live 1st hunt

181 deer shot. Biggest buck was 223#.

Down a bit from last years 1st hunt. Last year the total for the 1st hunt was 208 and the biggest buck was a 215 lbs. 11 pointer.

Last year the 2nd day was rainy for most of the day...if I remember right. This year the 2nd day was nice, probaby too nice.

Nels

My group of 3 only saw a hand full of deer, I did see a 130-140" ten pointer Saturday but was 60-70 yards out. It was really nice weather, but windy both days. I got pictures of a fisher that came by at ten yards Saturday morning. full-23988-38346-img_1311.jpg

full-23988-38348-img_1312.jpg

full-23988-38349-img_1306.jpg

full-23988-38350-img_1304.jpg

the first two are of the fisher, then the next ones are from my Stand on Sunday. The last was the Friday night sunset.

Ive always seen more deer north, i have also always seen more ppl north, more big woods and rolling hills. South seems to be more swampy and smaller wood areas, least that it was i gathered, im sure there are guys laughing cause they always hunt south and tag out.

Our group of four hunted north. Together we saw 16 seer Saturday got two shots off one missed and one connected with a yearling doe. Just finished butchering. Sunday hunted north again together we saw two deer both out of range. Weather was great ( a little windy Saturday but still nice) He had a great time. Love hunting Ripley. Sixth hunt for our group.

We hunted the north part for the youth hunt again this year and one thing that I noticed was that there weren't very many acorns again this year. I thought acorn crops were sort of an every other year thing. Anyone else notice that?

Nels

I saw two does with two fawns each and two bucks on Saturday. I saw the one buck approaching me that had a white thing hanging down that looked bloody. I suspected someone had a bad shot at it. I took a shot at which I thought was 40 and was closer to 50, I ended up shooting under the chest. I would not have shot if it had not been wounded. I prefer shots inside 35 yds. Fairly good blood trail and was surprised not to see someone tracking it. After finding my arrow I tracked it to someone else who had shot and finished it after it went to a scrape. It was probably about 160 pound 9 point scoring about 110-115? Good to see it did not suffer a slow death possibly. The white thing hanging down was a piece of tallow from inside it's ribcage. Looks like whomever wounded it was directly above and just got inside the ribcage. Everybody in our group of 5 saw deer on Saturday, very few on Sunday.

50's a easy shot if you practice it every time you practice. I am very deadly any wears from 10-80 yards with my Mathews ZXT set 65 lbs practice make perfect.I use a G5 sight that has a adjustable 4th pin I have markings at 60 70 80 90 and can kill 2 outta 3 times at 100 yards on my target. never be able to shoot more than 40-50 with shooting lanes in the woods at Ripley. I sat over a open area in the north end a few years back and shot a old grey doe at 65 yards.