• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This Weekend....Too Early for Pre-Rut?

mlvaj

Plan to head out this weekend, just wondering if it's too early to use pre-rut tactics or should I wait for another week or two? I'm figuring that the boys will be sparring and getting their territories marked already.

Was wondering the same thing. I may head out the next week (weekend of 19th and 20th) to a spot up north near Duluth to scout and hunt. With the warm weather we've had lately and the seemingly forever-lasting foliage, you think it'd be worthwhile by then to rattle?

I'm up here in Duluth/Superior and can tell you no sign of pre rut activity. Although a friend found a rub, I have not seen any action (coming from a passionate hunter). Not even really seeing bucks yet. Am getting doe/fawn sightings. Your better off grabbing the shot gun an findin some birds, and waiting another week. Still a lot of cover. Suppose to cool down though and with that I believe thing will get in motion. I forecast juvenile bucks will start gathering late next week, and with that the wheels will be in motion. I am headin out for a 8 hr shift in a tree shortly. I will report back if I notice "pre rut" activity. Good luck

They have been sparring for a few weeks already. Rubs and scrapes have been around for at least two weeks also. They are not out patrolling by any means but they are scent marking. If your not seeing bucks try a new spot. Only one property of the ones I hunt has any decent bucks on it as of right now.

I have not had decent buck on camera all year. Bucks will not magically appear until November when they are really cruising. Scouting is super key right now, if they are not there you won't see them plain and simple.

Some of these rubs people are finding may also be from shedding their velvet. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Bucks will not magically appear until November when they are really cruising.

I had 2 new bucks show up last week plus another that showed up at the beginning of Sept.

I hate to tell you but I would say those bucks have been living within a mile of you without you seeing them.

By really cruising I am talking 3+ miles. Its not uncommon for them to move with the changing of food or hunting pressure. Or it could be as simple as living on the other side of the fence.

Most would be surprised the bucks that live on their spots all season and never see them and most times never get a picture of them.

Camera's are a good tool but they can also hurt your hunting as well. Mature bucks are good at even avoiding them let alone hunters.

This guy had been living in the area all summer, I never see him, never had a picture of him. If you have faith in your setups there is no need to hang a camera and risk moving him either away from your stand or put him on notice you are around. He was with another buck slightly smaller.

buck2013_zps29dc2a0d.jpg

Right on, I don't get caught up with cams either. I have buddies who are at their cameras every week switching out memory cards, I try to stay away from my stands as much as possible. I don't need to see big buck pics to want to hunt my stand sites, by time I hunt hard bucks are moving anyway.

I have nice stand set ups and I hunt in an area that has alot of big bucks that roam around, that is all I need to know.