• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best way to waterproof zippers on raingear?

WalleyeChaser

What or how is the best for waterproofing zippers on raingear. The last few times out I have gotten wet on the sides of my legs from the full zipper on my bibs. I also have a zipper back vent and zipper armpit vents in my jacket that wick a little water in during heavy soaking wind driven rains. I'm too stubborn to just stay home in those conditions! crazy

There are some sticks, sorta like wax, that you can rub up and down on a zipper and that will lubricate them and might help seal them. But to be honest, if I had raingear and it was doing what you describe I would junk it (or return it) and get something decent. It is SUPPOSED to keep you dry....not funnel water down your legs or into your armpits!! I mean.....c'mon! Do some shopping. And return the krap you apparently are wearing.

And I admire your ability to stay out there and keep on goin'. Me? I would have run for home and tossed that "raingear" in the burn pile.

There should be a storm flap that covers the zippers ..... if not, you won't be able to keep the water out. Zippers are not waterproof.

PerchJerker- There are certainly water proof zippers on the market that are indeed waterproof and advertised as such. Dry bags, high end waders, good rain gear. They're not usually on cheap gear though.

There was a variety of guidewear that had "waterproof zippers" instead of the storm flaps that mine have. Basically, as you engaged the zipper there were two rubber edges that were forced together. I found them difficult to operate and went with the storm flaps. If I velcro them down I have never had a problem with leakage.

Hey WC, My recommendation is probably to find some type of wax / beeswax and rub it along the problem areas along the zipper. Other than that, I suggest upgrading your gear to goretex and related.

Goodluck!

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You can rub a little silicone floor wax on the zipper. Rub it on generously. Then clean off the excess and you will have a zipper that's very water repellent. It makes a nice zipper lube for zipping and unzipping easily too.

Don't leave too much on the zipper or it will get on your jacket and clothes. Easily wiped off though.

Works well on tent zippers.