• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to using a range finder - need recommendations

nbadger23

I made the switch this year from a pendulum sight to a fixed position sight and am having to deal with "picking which pin" to use. For me, all of my stands have a max shooting distance of 20 yards due to the thickness of the brush but I will be hunting some spots that are on the edges of open fields and I'm going to need to be more accurate with distances.

There's so many range finders out there that it's mind boggling. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not sure what needs to go into the decision on them but I can say that I'd likely rarely take a shot over 30 yards. I'm not real keen on the idea of spending more than $100 on one and am hoping to get by for less but I do want to make a decent purchase the first time and not try to go cheap and have to replace it a couple of years down the road. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I just went through the same dilemma. I wanted to find something around the $100 range, but I had trouble finding good reviews on anything in that category.

I basically narrowed it down to the Nikon Pro Staff 3 or 5, or the Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC. I went with the Bushnell because it has the angle compensation, and if I ever go out west that'll be a valuable feature. Reviews on any of the 3 are excellent. I paid $199 on the auction site for a refurbished unit, but they were on Amazon brand new for the same price awhile back.

I bought myself a Simmons last year at the beginning of the season. Not most spendy of rang finders, but it does it's job. Buddy used it out in South Dakot and was able to range deer out to almost 400 yards, which is way more than I will probably ever use it for. Memory serves me correctly, I paid just a tad bit over 100 bucks for it. Got it on sale at GM. I'm sure you can search the sites and find a used one for that price range depending what you are looking for. Most that have ARC, TILT or other angle compensation are going to be a bit more tho.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the information and setting my expectations correctly. I don't have a problem spending in the $150 range if it's something I can purchase once and be happy with for many years. What I didn't want to do was short side myself and spend $75 one time, be dissatisfied, and end up spending another $150 to get what I want the second time. I will look into some of the ones recommended and see what I can get.

It's quite a new world going from the pendulum sight to fixed pin. On one hand, I don't care for having to figure out which pin to use, but on the other hand, the illumination of the fixed pin is unreal compared to my pendulum.

I bought the Wildgame Innovations one for $99 a few years back. Works like a charm for the farm country hunting I do. Reliable and I haven't had to replace the battery yet. I use it when setting up a stand or blind or picking out a spot to sit in my ghillie and after establishing some landmarks, put it away. I agree that if you were hunting out West or more mobile and shooting at steep angles, etc., a fancier one would certainly be in order. Good luck.

Don't buy A CHEEP one !! Get a good one and you will have it for years and years .. My brother and a few friends bot them cheep Wildgame ones and all three are junk .. I bot a nikon 7 years ago and i just changed the batterie for fun, it was still good , just thought i should

I have heard bad things about some rangefinders. Especially Halo rangefinders. I have had a Nikon 440 that I lost and now have a Leupold RX-1. Neither had the angle feature and both were good. I wouldn't recommend WGI just based on the trail camera experience I have had with them.

Be sure to do some internet research on the ratings of the ones you are looking at.

I just bought a Leupold 600i with DNA, the lens in it is amazingly clear. It has a 6x lens, so I no longer need to take out a pair of binoculars. I paid about $200 for them, but they were so much clearer then anything near that price range.

Count me as another in the camp of, when you buy: Cry once instead of every time you use it. Buy as much of a rangefinder as you can afford if you're going to rely on it as a regular tool in your gear bag.

I cried real bad when I bought my Leupold RX1000 but unless I lose it, I don't plan on ever looking to "upgrade".

2c

I cried real bad when I bought my Leupold RX1000 but unless I lose it, I don't plan on ever looking to "upgrade".

2c

I have an rx600 and have been happy with it although the rx-1000 was much nicer with the lighted readout. Only thing I don't care for with mine is in low light with a dark background like a plowed field or heavy canopy of leaves the yardage is hard to read. Other than that I have no complaints. I was even able to range a cow at 596 yards.

I see in todays Fleet Farm ad that they have a Nikon Prostaff for 179 and a Simmons for 159.

I have an rx600 and have been happy with it although the rx-1000 was much nicer with the lighted readout. Only thing I don't care for with mine is in low light with a dark background like a plowed field or heavy canopy of leaves the yardage is hard to read.

The lighted readout was a must have for me just for the reason you mentioned. My first rangefinder didn't have it and once I saw the difference, game over...

I bought the rx1000 tbr DNA. Love it. 6x magnification, so like mentioned, no need for binocs while bow hunting. The selling point was the displays are in bright red vs black. You have no idea how quick and easily you can see your readings. Has rifle mode with bullet hold over when programmed to your caliber, bow mode with angle compensate to 125yds, waterproof, bla bla bla. But, for $420 in camo, the only reason ill ever need to upgrade is because I lost it or something. It is sweet, and small