• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery bear hunt?

Scoot

Who else is doing an archery bear hunt? I'm pumped up to get out and try to deflate a bear for the first time ever. I'm moving my mo-in-law this weekend and my own household the following weekend, but I'll get out a couple times to run bait and I'll get help from the landowner who's nice enough to let me hunt on his land too. Between the two of us we should be in good shape. The landowner where I'm hunting said he's seen a couple bears in the last few weeks and there's plenty of sign around. I'll run bait this weekend and get a camera up. I'm looking forward to this hunt!

One thing the landowner told me was that the first weekend is very good typically, but that it gets very hit and miss after that because the acorns drop and the bears disappear from the bait in any consistent way. I assume his local knowledge to be spot on, but I was curious if others find this to be true too? For this to be true it'd have to be in an area where there are a lot of oak trees...

I'll take pics and share with the group here! The hunt starts Sep. 1st, but the work for me starts this weekend. It should be a fun learning experience for me for sure.

Your landowner is spot on,normally it's within the the week before season they vanish.

OK, if they vanish right before the season starts, when is the best time to shoot a bear? If the acorns drop before Sep. 1st, when do I use my vacation time to bear hunt? I'm limited in the vaca I can use on this hunt, so when do I best use it?

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I can swing all five days, but I'll probably have three sits on the first three days, then a few days off, then two sits. That's about as close as I can come to your recommendation.

Thanks much for your input- I'll get as close as I can to those five days.

I agree w/ the 1st 5 days if you can swing it.

Bears are a fickle critter.

I hunted 14 days straight one year, and only saw a HUGE sow (400lbs+) w/ 3 cubs. We figured she was keeping all the other bears off the bait. We moved to a different spot, baited 2x and I whacked a 150 lber w/ 5 minutes of climbing into the stand. LOL

On the 2nd bear I shot, a 250lber, he came in and I thought he was small. sick He walked off and then a small bear came in and I thought I blew my chance. Luckily, he had a death wish and came back to meet his maker. LOL

My dad hunted 14 days straight for a 235 lber that he saw on the first night when it walked in head on facing him and back stepped, out of the bait. He didn't see him again till the 14th day when he tried to do the same thing but was a little slow and my dad put the hurt on him.

It's a fun hunt, but after shooting a couple of bears, I have no desire to shoot another one over bait, unless it was with a recurve.

I'd really like to do a spot and stalk style hunt out West or along the coast up in Alaska.

When you're are hunting, scatter a dozen donuts or a bag of those jumbo marshmallows around on the ground. This will get the bear moving around to hopefully give you the perfect shot.

Good Luck Scoot! You're in for a good time ( minus the bugs). Thermacell!!!

Brian

Thanks guys! From what I'm told a morning sit isn't really worth it. True or false? Also, for an afternoon/evening sit, what time should I get in the stand by? I know I can't do any all day sits, so I'll either have to choose a shorter morning and shorter evening sit or just go in the evening, but start a little sooner. Thoughts?

It sounds like the last two hours of light is prime time...

Morning stands can work if you can get in early to bait several days in a row, and there's some competion for the food. Otherwise you're right, the last few hours is when it'll happen. Good luck!

I will be hunting mornings if the trail camera supports that. I have shot at least two bears in the morning in the last few years. Again in the evening I follow the trail camera info but never later than 400.

Last year I hunted with my wife in the evenings so mornings were my only option to hunt myself. I had a bear coming in between 0500 and 0630. I was on stand by 0400 every morning to make sure I beat him to the bait and it worked out.

A friend of mine was hunting near Hibbing a few years ago. His wife was expecting a baby any day so his time was limited. She called and said get your a-- home today. So he went out to his stand at about 10:00 am. He was going to sit for an hour or two and then head for home. Well sure enough a bear hit the bait for the first time I think and he shot the bear. You just never know what the bear gods will do for you.....

Don't ever dismiss the morning hunt. Some of the biggest bear I caught on cam were in the morn. Why? To hot the rest of the time. Big bears are more apt to move an feed morning if the thermo.eter gose north . So keep an eye on heat. I'd get into stan no later than 2 pm on a evening hunt. Gives ur ground scent time to disperse. U get in 3-4 oclock an u r ground scent is still pretty ripe lessers bear will tolerate it more than a big boar. Acorns? Have fun. Simply canot compete with acorns. Have ur freind scout the mast crop an see what ur dealing with. If I had to choose early or late I'd choose late. But that's me. Hunt every day of the five days u have. Ull kick ur self when one shoows up on day four an ur not there. Hit it hard. If u have bear on cam hitting daylight hunt till u absolutley can't don't take a day of. If u have five days only hunt all five. Remeber keep an eye on the heat an don't hesitate to hunt morning.

I'm on the stand now- all quiet so far. Last night was interesting, but no shooting (details to follow). Goofy wind tonight- I got in the stand then stitched stands, now it's swirling all over. There's so little wind I think it's just flitting its way around randomly from N to S to E to W. I'll report tomorrow with pics as soon as I can, but that might not be until later in the week.

I got mine last night with my crossbow. Very cool experience! It seems like the perfect bear getter for me.. The bear came in about 7:20 then back out and snuck around the sides of me for awhile. It was getting late and he just couldn't resist the raspberry apple pie filling and came back in and started lapping it up. He moved his right front leg forward and I pulled the trigger. The crossbow wacked him and he "yowled" (I think that is a word) and ran and rolled for about 10 yards and just kicked a little and was done. Gave the death moan and all of this lasted just seconds. What a rush. I have shot bears with guns but the crossbow made it a lot more fun for me.

I got mine opening night at 5pm. Came into the bait and he had no clue I was there. I shot, he growled. He ran 10 yards and stopped and was like what was that pain behind my shoulder. Walked another 5 yards and toppled over. Gave the death moan and that was all she wrote. My first archery bear, 135 lbs. He'll eat good and make for a great rug. Hide is at the taxidermist as we speak. I'll try and get some pics up.

When I try to add my pic I click add file and then no more files and it doesn't add my file. What am I not doing right?

When you click "add file" it takes a while. Be patient, wait till it shows the photo, then click "done adding files".

If you are uploading directly from the camera, the file may be too big. I upload photos to a seperate site first, like "Photobucket". Then you only need to copy the "URL" link, and paste it here in the reply box.