• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FAX to email service?

Ouch $240 a year to send faxes?

I use to use Winfax before I got Windows 7, now I use Faxtalk Pro. One time fee, and you can send them out as emails, or online, and just print to fax as well.

Nice, I may look into that issue is now that I have this fax number I don't want to change. And I was off it is $10/mo so not as bad. But still $120 a year but that is just a business expense.

Tried to install FaxTalk Pro and it is asking for a modem to use. I then use a DSL connection and I found this on the FAQ:

"Currently, the hardware used in DSL and Cable based modems does not support the ability to send and receive faxes or perform voice messaging operations. Until DSL and Cable modems support the commands necessary for software such as FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro you will not be able to use DSL or cable modems with FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro. This is true for allfax and voice messaging software."

Does this mean I need to install a dial up modem??

If you want to be able to send/receive faxes directly to/from a fax machine you will need a dial up modem.

If you are willing to go through an intermediary, you can send them via the internet and someone along the line makes them into a faz and calls the destination (or receives the call from the destination) and takes care of going from email/web site to FAX.

Faxing is a true anolog dial up service. What a lot of these services are is most likely an outfit that has a bank of dial up modems then it gets converted to something text based and sent off. There are also internet printing services. Faxing is getting to be a pretty outdated mode of communication.

If actually need faxing, you might better off just getting a modem and a tapping into your phone line as needed.

I am pretty sure most anything you find for free is going to have some drawbacks.

A google search turned up a few free services that will receive, convert and email you the faxes. Might want to spend a little time and test a few.