• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To rebuild or not to rebuild.....?

genegodawa

Any and all advice is appreciated:

We bought a 1976 Commander (built in Rockford, IL) / very similar to a Tuffy model with a 1976 Johnson 55HP and a trailer which is in decent shape. We put new tires on trailer and a new depthfinder so wa are $2,000 into this setup.

We used it once and it was fine. On 2nd trip, had lots of trouble with it dying out while trying to get going...it started ok, but then no power when pushing throttle forward and it would die out.

2 dealers say they need $2,000 to rebuild the motor to solve it.

First question is does it sound like that is a fair estimate and next question is what does rebuilding an engine entail?

If i need to sell it, how do we go about selling something with a known problem...if that inded will even fix the problem?

I just completely rebuilt a 40hp for $1,000. But i wasn't using shop labor, it was done by a small engine mechanic.

Did they tell you what was wrong with the motor? Detonation and worn cylinders, shot pistons, low compression? Could be as easy as a carburator. If it ran fine the first outing and not the 2nd, were you using correct fuel mixtures? Impellar working? What do you think happened between the first and 2nd outing to make a motor require a complete overhall?

You also might be able to find a different motor in that price range too, though a completely rebuilt motor WITH A WARRANTY might be worth it if the cost is moot between rebuild and buying used.

For 2 grand, I would look into what a newer 50 horse motor will run you.

I honestly don't know how much money I would put into a motor of that age.

I had a early 70's Evinrude that finally died on me, in the end I found a late 80's Merc for half of what it was going to cost to fix the old Evinrude.

The reason the old Evinrude was so expensive was because parts are hard to find for some of them.

On the positive side the newer Mercury I picked up felt like it had twice the power my older engine ever had, even though they were both the same 25HP engines.

When they say it needs a full rebuild, do you know how they came to that conclusion? was it from a compression test where the cylinders are leaking down and such?

I am not an expert on 2 stroke motors, but I have rebuilt a number of 4 stroke small engines over the years.

2grand on a motor that small just seems a bit high, but then again, i find the cost of marine repairs varies greatly by location.

It wouldn't make any sense to throw 2 grand at the engine.

"2 dealers say they need $2,000 to rebuild the motor to solve it"

What is it?

There would have to have been a compression test and found you had a bad cylinder.

Was a compression test done? If so then you'd be better off parting out the outboard and getting something much newer for the 2 grand. Or shop around, you can find its twin for $500-$750 and hang on to yours for parts.

Do not rebuild that seventies evinrude!

The eighties models are much better, and more affordable.

That price is horrible. It sound like the dealer doesnt want the business. I'd say it sounds like a carb issue. I'd get that checked out first.

You can sell the motor, but only for about 100 dollars.

I have a guy that rebuilds 80s evinrudes and sells them with a warranty. PM me for details.

The "it" was no power on throttle down.

I guess we were lucky on the maiden voyage when it seemed to run fine.

The dealer said something about failing a test...prob the compression test....and needing 2 valves and some other stuff replaced.

Looks like the best choice is for us to either put $2k into a more recent year used motor and replace/junk ours or dump/sell it.

Thanks guys for all your input.

Oh yeah, I sure hope that old farmer who sold us this lemon can sleep well.

The "it" was no power on throttle down.

I guess we were lucky on the maiden voyage when it seemed to run fine.

The dealer said something about failing a test...prob the compression test....and needing 2 valves and some other stuff replaced.

Looks like the best choice is for us to either put $2k into a more recent year used motor and replace/junk ours or dump/sell it.

Thanks guys for all your input

Oh yeah, I sure hope that old farmer who sold us this lemon can sleep well.

Valves? Two strokes don't have valves except for maybe reed valves, and I didn't think that OMC had those that long ago. Could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure most did have reed valves, however $2000 would WAY overkill for that. If it is the top end (piston and rings) that needs to be replaced due to low compression readings, $2000 seems too high. I replaced my top end in a 1972 evinrude 18hp and it maybe took me 2-4 hours, and parts were a head gasket, pistons, wrist pins, and 2 rings. For a shop to charge that much is stupid.

All 2 strokes have reed valves. Vital component in the the whole 2 stroke operation.

280 for 2 pistons

140 for pwd gasket kit

60 for machining

50 for a water pump kit

120 for internal bearings

Roughly 700 with tax for parts leaving 1300 for labor. Easy work if a guy can get it!! Lol

Now I don't know that mechanics rate but even at 80/hr, he's expecting 16 hrs?? No way it should take that long

$2000 ??? Way too much to rebuild a 2 cylinder engine.

Maybe all outboard two strokes had reed valves but two stroke motorcycles often used "piston ports" or even "rotary valves". Piston ports seemed to be most common, where the skirt of the piston closed the intake and controlled the transfer port as well.

That's why I mentioned it.

@ boat fixer

I may have misread his original post but is simply sounds like his rings have worn, and he has low compression. In that case the only things he needs are a head gasket, piston, rings, and cir clips. I did not have to take off my power head because I had enough space, but if you do, you can add a power head gasket. Not sure what machining your referring to, but that's about $500 in parts, which makes the quote of $2000 even more ridiculous. Its honestly about a 3 hour job if all goes well. You would be paying them $500 per hour. I'm more of a take care of what you have kind of person, so I say you should find someone that will do it under $1000 if you cant yourself, else your best bet might be to simply put it on C...list and say it has low compression. You should be able to get $500 for it.

Years ago I bought a 16' Lund with a 1976 55hp Johnson. The dealership had just overhauled it. They said they had lots of powerhead problems those years. I had it for about 3 years. Ran fine but I had to replace coils at least twice. Sold it.

I listed the parts that are generally nessecary to do a complete rebuild in a worse case scenario. I also just realized i left out carb kits. The machining would be boring to the next size up. All this is contingent on mic'ing the cylinders to see if they are out of spec. It's quite possible it may only need a new set of rings but I would rather be prepared to do more.

Anyway you slice it, $2k is still too much whether its a half a$$'d or a total rebuild

I listed the parts that are generally nessecary to do a complete rebuild in a worse case scenario. I also just realized i left out carb kits. The machining would be boring to the next size up. All this is contingent on mic'ing the cylinders to see if they are out of spec. It's quite possible it may only need a new set of rings but I would rather be prepared to do more.

Anyway you slice it, $2k is still too much whether its a half a$$'d or a total rebuild

agreed

Did this boat have aged fuel in it? Very possible that a fuel starvation problem from gummed jets using old crappy gas led to an engine failure from a lean mixture.

I know it's not in your area, but there is an identical OB in Mpls for $950 asking price as a benchmark. Would be an easy swap using your same controls, etc.