• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do when you catch a carp?

I posted a picture and a video of the carp I caught on the fly on another message board. Was quite excited about it being my first carp on the fly. To me, it did not matter how big or small it was.

Anyways, others responded to me saying that if I was to catch another carp, I must leave it on the shore or throw it in the trash as they are an invasive species.

What do you do when you catch a carp? What are we legally supposed to do?

It is against the law (and just rude/disgusting) to leave it on the shore to rot.

Release it, eat it, use it for fertilizer...but don't just kill it for the sake of killing it.

I release every carp I catch.

I posted a picture and a video of the carp I caught on the fly on another message board. Was quite excited about it being my first carp on the fly. To me, it did not matter how big or small it was.

Anyways, others responded to me saying that if I was to catch another carp, I must leave it on the shore or throw it in the trash as they are an invasive species.

What do you do when you catch a carp? What are we legally supposed to do?

In this order, this is what I do when I catch a carp on the fly:

1) Pray that my flyline to backing connection is tied nicely

2) Once landed, I do a happy dance. Maybe cheer a little, depending on the size, situation/how many people are around to judge me.

3) When people yell at me for releasing a carp and not killing it, I try to remain calm and advise people to read the regulations.

4) sit on shore and have a beverage... wait for that pool to settle down a bit... and cast another fly in there and see what happens.

I posted this in a similar thread in the open water forum, it's a good reference. Interesting to say the least.

NPS History of the Common Carp

PS Nice buffalo in the rough fish pics thread. You catch that on the fly rod?

Just a little clarification about releasing carp. The regs described in this post so far do apply to the common carp (as well as other roughfish like quillbacks and buffalo), which is of course what nearly all of us are catching in MN.

However, if you do happen to catch one of the new invasive Asian carp (Bighead Carp or the famous jumping Silver Carp), it is illegal to release them. You are also required to report your catch to the DNR.

I couldn't find anywhere in the regs where it specifically says you can't release the new Asian carps back to MN waters but IIRC I have seen it printed in a few other places over the past couple of years.

Here's what the MN Regs currently say;

Possessing or transporting white perch, ruffe, round goby, black carp, bighead carp, grass carp, or silver carp is unlawful, except when taking them to the DNR. If you catch a black, bighead, grass, or silver carp, you must report it to the DNR within seven days. A picture or specimen is desired when reporting your catch to the DNR.

Just release the commons. Trying to pull them out to "help the lake" is really doing nothing.

Step 1 - Hook Carp

Step 2 - Frantically try to unwrap your fly line from your rod butt or reel

Step 3 - Watch your backing knot fly through the guides

Step 4 - Play carp for a while

Step 5 - Land carp

Step 6 - Release carp

In many of the deeper clear lakes in MN carp have hit an equilibrium within the ecosystem and have stabilized their populations. In those lakes they are neither affecting gamefish populations, plant life or water clarity to any measurable extent.

In fact, sunfish predation on carp eggs is so high that in some years very few carp even make it to the safe point where they become adults as it seems whole class years are missing on some lakes (of course carp mow down sunnie eggs too, but virtually all lakes in MN now have plenty, if not too many, sunnies).

As a carp angler I'm glad there's a bunch of whoppers in Cedar, Calhoun, and Harriet!

It really is sad to see how many people don't know the law about releasing rough fish. Can't blame it on old timers either, I've had plenty of guys my age or younger ask me what they're supposed to do with a rough fish after catching it. Then they look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them they have to just release it.

I just got it from a guy working for the city lakes this a.m.! (He appeared to be on garbage patrol.)

I told him "do you really want people leaving the fish on the shore for you to pickup?" and something sorta clicked how bad that deal is for him

so maybe he won't be telling folks it's illegal anymore smile

It really is sad to see how many people don't know the law about releasing rough fish. Can't blame it on old timers either, I've had plenty of guys my age or younger ask me what they're supposed to do with a rough fish after catching it. Then they look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them they have to just release it.

Its not just those laws that people are unaware of either. I have talked to a lot of ice fishermen that still don't know that you can only keep one Northern Pike over 30 inches in your limit.

What do I do with carp after I catch them. That depends on the time of year it is. Some times I need fertilizer for my tomato's( I usually have my kid fill that bill with arrowed rough fish though) ,or I just release and let them to live for the fight on someone else's line on another day.

Thanks for the replies guys. I felt the same. Prefer to let it go than rot on shore. Plus, they are beautiful fish. Been raising cichlids and fishing for 20 years. I admire all fish I catch.

I have seen guys post on hsolist about free carp they bow. They are willing to even drop off the carp within a certain distance to families that may want it for whatever reason. Even this sounds better than leaving it on the shore to rot.

On the other hand, if you stick a Carp with an arrow you can not place it back in the water and must take it with you when you leave.

Catch, photo, release. Unless I'm gonna SMOKE IT and I just may do that, someday.