• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Get out of my spot!

dilleyo

Has anyone seen walleyes invading their catfish holes? Me and ETH10 went out on Tuesday night to a spot that we caught a couple of Flatties the previous time out and I am pretty sure we only got one cat bite. We did however get a couple of really nice walleyes though. Mine was 26 1/2" and his was 28". We fished a different spot all of August last year and never got a single walleye and now we've fished a couple of different spots from last year and have pulled up 3 really decent eyes. I really don't mind catching these big (in my book) walleyes, but I'd rather be catching a bigger flathead. We also haven't fished flatties this early in the season since we were noobs last August. Is this common earlier in the season? They also bit on larger bullheads (7"-8"). Should we be moving to try to find the kitties or do they mingle in the same areas chasing the same baits? DSCN2838.jpg

DSCN2839.jpg

Very common, especially in the spring, you are doing nothing wrong. In fact it usually means you are in a good spot, just bad timing.

Yes this is an idea I have adopted and one that makes sense. Great spot but if you are catching walleyes you are better off moving unless you like catching walleyes. Walleyes will not win between a large and hungry flat and there is no proof that they do not eat them and proof I am sure they do so IMO the answer is yes they will eat walleyes of any size and even big ones. Especially when some of the biggest flats I have personally seen pulled out will evacuate carp scales ranging in sizes between a quarter and half dollar. wink

My advice is the same as Darren's and if you are catching walleyes definitely mark down the spot for later but move elsewhere for the time being to find an area with active flatheads.

The only idea which contradicts this theory is that the walleyes are obviously feeding in this area. So bait fish have to be in the area so any would be hungry flatheads "could" be close by but I feel if a hungry flathead is in the area the walleyes will pick up on this and boogie as soon as they sense any apex predator they would rather not tangle with. smile

I wouldn't move. You obviously found a feeding area or where bait is concentrated. Now if you are catching dink eyeballs one after another i would consider moving, but not 25" + ers, they are eating the same thing the big cats are. The big flats will push anything out any competition when they are good and ready. Could be right when you toss your bait out or 4 hours from then.

I feel the same way about little flatheads and i sure won't move if i found a Flathead "nursery" on the contrary, I'm excited about it.

They sure can pizz a guy off! Especially when you're fishing a Cat tournament, there's 5 minuites left before you need to leave for the weigh in.....your rod gets hit, clicker goes off, only to have it be Mr. Marbleyes...... So I've heard...

I feel the same way about little flatheads and i sure won't move if i found a Flathead "nursery" on the contrary, I'm excited about it.

Fully understand on that. wink I get excited about this also but it also makes for good discussion.

Basing the following on my own experience and trends which we all know can be tossed out for the most part year to year BUT!!!

Minnesota River yes. If I find active smaller flats usually the last one we get before the bite drops off is the biggest one or one of the last ones is the biggest. An example would be a short period before Gordie got the one in his avatar we had pulled two or three around 20lbs or smaller and boom, a huge flat. Certainly not a nursery but just for example.

Pool 2 I am out to lunch on still with the nursery thing. I have caught so many 5-15lb flats, even one after another and after another, and just keep getting flats in that size range unless we make a move. Once we make a move (if the moons are aligned cool ) the new spot may pull a larger flat right away, or nothing in most cases grin, with no nursery type action. Even on the tale ends of the Minnesota I have noticed this to be the case in most years. Just seems the big flats in this area are more isolated and looking for, more or less, different foods sources than up stream on the Minnesota.

IMO though a nursery flathead stand is a great source because there is bait/food and if anything the nursery sized flatheads are the food source themselves.

The thing I think of though is the natural instinct of fish in general. Walleyes that get to 25"+ on the river did so for some reason and maybe one good reason. The number one reason being they swattered off being eaten by predators. 15" or 30" this instinct I feel is still firmly embedded within them and once a 30lb+, especially a 40 or 50+ lb, flathead is detected within the area, and you know they know, the instinct to flee for more secure feeding ground kicks in. Even if said flathead(s) have no intentions of those 25"+ walleye being a food source. Basing this on my experience of catching 20"+ walleyes in an area and hence why I would move, I just feel no matter the size (maybe dink walleyes being ruled out being inexperienced) even the bigger walleyes could give you a good barometer as to any big flathead being in the area or not. Just my opinion and probably only with 2 cents but seriously though, no matter what it would be hard to pull away from a spot when anyone is getting 26 1/2" and 28" walleyes. grin

Yep- catch them both out of the same spots all the time (3 times this week actually). Never a bad sign. Don't leave fish to find fish. Totally agree- there might be another/different fish right behind the one you just caught and you never know what its going to be until you hook up. They're both eating the same shizz as we're throwing out there.

Them 28" walleyes aren't any fun to catch on big flathead gear. I at one time caught my PB Walleye while sturgeon fishing, didn't even think i had anything on the line and up pops a 25" walleye. "What The..."

Same thing happened this spring on the MN R. Couldn't even tell i was reeling in a fish, just thought the cutbait was full of debris and up pops a 23" walleye caught on cutbait. LOL. I was just reeling in to move to a different spot and that bugger was sucking on my bait.

Quote:

I just had this talk with a fishing buddy of mine this morning.....Call me nuts but I think the average Flathead in P2 is about 6-8 lbs. There are a tremendous number of small fish in that pool, and honestly not very many "Big" fish (40+ pounds) For as much as I fish P2 it has to be 25 or more in the <15lb range for every one over 30 pounds.

Has anyone got a legit 50 pounds Flat from P2?

I do not know of one.

In the last month I've personally seen 2 x 30lb channels, and one 45 lb flat, caught on pool 2.

There are definitely some big ones in there. But the majority of what we catch (and see others catch) is in the 3-5 lb range.

In the past three years I've fished the mn 10x (or more) than P2, and have personally seen 3x 40+ lbers on the miss.

I said 50 pound fish..... Not 40. smile

I've caught plenty of 40's pound fish from P2, I just dont see P2 breaking into the 50 pound class like the MN or P3. Generally speaking its a smaller fish fishery, (For Flatheads) Its not a bad thing, It just is what it is...... My Opinion that's all.

Actually you said 40+ grin

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is if you would rather catch 25 under 30lbs and then a big one, or spend the same amount of time on the water and catch 3 or 4 under 30 and then a big one?   There are certain years or windows where the MN river cannot be beat believe me I’ve seen it. I bet not too many people can say they caught 22 Flatheads from the same spot in a matter of 5 hours. I love the MN and when its on ITS ON but as a whole I would say any Pool of the Miss is a better fishery (for big and small fish) and my opinion is that its not even close

We went out last night from about 8-1am in the same spot and I didn't even get a bite. ETH10 lost one in the wood before I got there though. Time to pick a new spot I believe. I haven't fished my spot from last year where every trip out we were catching at least one fish a night a little over 20lbs and there were a few times where we lost one that was a lot bigger. The only reason we haven't fished the "good old standby" hole is I wanted to try a few new spots and just happened across this spot that was hot.

Pool 2 offers the best catfishing in the world. I don't understand why a person would ever want to fish another location.

ATTENTION CATFISHERPEOPLE

Do yourself a favor, go fish Pool 2 of the Mississippi River(St Paul to Hastings). 30lb Cannel Cats. 50lb Flatheads. Untold amounts of giant walleyes. All in the same day!! Go catch them before the next flood washes all the fish into Pool3.

Pool 2 offers the best catfishing in the world. I don't understand why a person would ever want to fish another location.

ATTENTION CATFISHERPEOPLE

Do yourself a favor, go fish Pool 2 of the Mississippi River(St Paul to Hastings). 30lb Cannel Cats. 50lb Flatheads. Untold amounts of giant walleyes. All in the same day!! Go catch them before the next flood washes all the fish into Pool3.

I disagree, although P2 is usually on fire, grin I think P4 is a better stretch on the Miss.