• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Guide for catfishing needed?

MMarah

there is not that many guides that run the Mississippi river. the only one I can think of right now is Brian K. (don't know how to spell his last name). your other option would be to see if one of the regular cat guys from here would happen to have a open seat in their boat some time. I only fish the Mississippi up around Monticello and only shore fish it in this area do to lower water levels and a lot or big rocks in the area. I have been thinking of taking my boat and going down to pool 2 and get to know the river in that area with the boat. I would mostly likely have a open seat in my boat if I went there. You're welcome to join me sometime if I was to go there. If you don't mind shore fishing I have some places in the Monticello area that I could take you and try to get you on some. I am not a guide but know this area really well and there are places to fish after dark. I wouldn't charge you to do this. PM me if interested in setting something up.

I wouldn't pay ANY GUIDE the big bucks to sit in the mouth of Jackson Run on pool 3. Or to sit in Mylees Run.

What I would do is hook up with someone who fishes Cats alot, bring the beer, food, and call it even. MUCH CHEAPER THAN A GUIDE!

My email is below if you're interested!

Dave

I would be very interested in going with someone else. Figured that was not an option being a very active outdoors man figured no one would want an outside to see their spot! I am just looking for something new to try. Got into carp shooting few years back and that is a blast, but have been recently told about this night catfishing which sound fun too.

Work afternoons so would work out well going at night. Let me know

Some really great guys on this site that are willing to share tips, tactics and a seat in a boat. I'm sure you will find a great night of fishing soon. I hope I can get my boat together soon cause I need to get on the water too.

+1 to what Gordie said. the regulars here are a great group of guys and are more then willing to help someone get started in cat fishing so they can enjoy it too. you said you work afternoons does this apply to Saturdays too or is this just during the week. If you ever have a Saturday night free I would be open to going out of the Minnesota River around the Shakopee area with the boat if it worked out for me. if you didn't mind the Minnesota river over the Mississippi river that is. PM me if you ever want to set something up sometime. Also wanted to throw out the invite to come to the HSO Mississippi North Cat Fish and Sucker Round up that me and Rick G are hosting at Ellison park in Monticello. there is a post about this in the Mississippi north and the HSO events forums check it out. it is a shore fishing event but it would give you a chance to meet a lot of the regulars that chase cats. time and date for this event is listed in the post in the other forums.

You ever shoot any carp down that way? I have been out on the st croix couple times but dont seem to have spawned yet?? I just got into it last year so still learning alot about the best ways to do it.

Savage Brewer,

It is not. I think this is his way of trying to keep others out of this area. this area is actually nice there is a camp ground right in Shakopee that has tent camps sites right on the river. A lot of people that stay there will bring there boat and put in at the access by the 101 bridge and head down river to the campground and tie off by there camp site. I have been on this section and unless something has changed since I was last there, I wouldn't call it dangerous. It can get interesting in the spring when parts of big trees come floating down but by now things should be settled down. you might get the occasional floater every now and then but that can happen on any section of any river. just keep a eye out for things floating down river and you will be fine.

Savage Brewer,

It is not. I think this is his way of trying to keep others out of this area. floating down river and you will be fine.

If the river mentioned (or any river with rocks, wood, barge traffic, swift current, etc.) isn't inherently dangerous or at least multiple times more dangerous than ANY lake around here (especially after dark)- please enlighten me. I've worked with several people who have drowned on rivers (in AK) on the job, and during off time just fishing and it happens here in the midwest an awful lot too.

Brad- I ask you, how much time do you spend on the MN or Miss river after dark in the boat? Assuming it's not much because I've only seen you on the MN twice, when there was a group of people and other experienced boaters- why not more often???? ;-) Again- I'm assuming a lot here but I know a lot of people that won't go out after dark, or by themselves, or during high water, or during low water, or when the water is rising and there is a TON of debris floating down (like right now). It's respect of a more powerful thing than ourselves.

If anyone tells anyone the river is not dangerous- they are giving foolish advice. Period. It deserves much more respect than you are giving it for many reasons. When shizz goes down hill, it goes down hill quick. You can't just trolling motor to Captain Jack's and call it a night.

Any water that has current has the potential to be a killer, literally and at any time of the season low water or high water. I have been on rivers most all my life and I have much more respect for a river than any inland body of water, and maybe be even a touch more than the great lakes.

You always have to be on your toes on the river, I have seen trees almost touch each shore line floating down the river at times and their is No forgiveness iffin your in the way of stuff like that.

It can get interesting in the spring when parts of big trees come floating down but by now things should be settled down.

Not limited to spring by any means. This hasn't even been updated to include the downpour I'm watching out my window right now...

full-105-34194-jdnm5_hg.png

all I was saying it that you shouldn't say something is dangerous all the time. yes it can be at times but it all comes down to common sense and using your head when you're out there be it a river or lake. if you don't feel comfortable doing something then don't do it. everything in life has risks.

Gotta be on your toes at all time when on the river in a boat, add darkness to the mix and things can realy get bad fast if something were to happen. Then you would have to add panic to that equasion, as not many people would be able to think clear if an accident were to happen. Just too many thing that couls go wrong not to worrie. But in Brad defence, if you take reasonable precautions, and know your section of river, you should be fine 98% of the time wink as for the other 2%, as all river rats know [poor word usage] happens

I agree, running the river has more potential for problems, as I fished the Red river up north for some time now.

Also I dont have plans to be out on the river at night.

I thought maybe there was something inherently more dangerous about the stretch by Shakopee that is different than other stretches of the MN.

Might have to hook up with a few of you folks someday.

Ever since Ed passed I refuse to fish rivers by myself, unless I am fly fishing for trout. It is just too dangerous to be on moving water alone.

Saw some really big stuff floating down the river last night. A good down pour can move a lot of material in the river, or even the wake from a boat that is crazing up or down the river can bust lose a big tree, log and what ever else is ready to float down stream.

I would have to say that a river is dangerous all the time, that's why we have to use common sense and think be before you act. Even when the top of the river looks peaceful it is still a animal that can kill you underneath its currents, and the most experienced boater can get themselves in trouble if they for get this.

In my opinion it is a lot like ice and that is never 100% safe either.

Or you can have normal water levels, great weather, and just be sitting there fishing minding your own biz- and have a tree with the diameter of a car take its' whole root system and all with it out of the bank and dam near crush your boat as you're trying to unclip and move out of the way. If it's not the tree that crushes your boat it could be the dirt bomb out of the root wad that might sink you. ;-) The largest part of this tree is under water-look at the root was as this is just minutes after it fell and the river hasn't even washed any dirt off to expose the roots. I don't remember if it was before or after I cleaned my shorts. Luckily it was only a large branch that caught my bow, ripped off a spot light and almost pulled the bow under water. It happened in a matter of seconds. All we heard was a couple twigs snap like an animal was coming down the bank and the next thing you know this tree is at a 45 coming down on us. Respect the river. Not based on what you find on 'google' but from the experience of guys like Gordie and others that have been doing this a long time. As mentioned, it's unfortunate that some of the river rats aren't around to remind us of this.

DSC_0014-8.jpg

Yep, Alagnak I have seen that happen many times ,but not up close and all personal like you, and don't want to either eek

I also witnessed a deer crossing the river last night it started out 250 yards up stream of us and it the current pushed that deer side way a 100 yards towards us in no time then it got to the other side and a very, very strong current seam and deadfall stopped it from making up the bank and it had to swim back across and got with in 45 yards of us then it turned around and tried again to swim across and this time it made it but it was another 200 yards down stream of us before it was able to get on dry ground.

Sorry for the poor quality photo

full-15313-34211-026(1024x764).jpg

There are no fish around Shakopee. Dangerous stretch of river. Better off going to pool 2.

Quote:
Savage Brewer,

It is not. I think this is his way of trying to keep others out of this area. this area is actually nice there is a camp ground right in Shakopee that has tent camps sites right on the river. A lot of people that stay there will bring there boat and put in at the access by the 101 bridge and head down river to the campground and tie off by there camp site. I have been on this section and unless something has changed since I was last there, I wouldn't call it dangerous. It can get interesting in the spring when parts of big trees come floating down but by now things should be settled down. you might get the occasional floater every now and then but that can happen on any section of any river. just keep a eye out for things floating down river and you will be fine.

I would call it a little more dangerous than down stream mainly for the fact that they stop dredging the channel just down stream of Shocky-Town up from the swing bridge. In the low water (some of them I am sure even in high water) the deadheads do become a factor.

I have run the river(s) from Lillydale to Shocky-Town many times. If you know what to look for and what you are doing it is just as safe as running from Isle to Garrison on Mille Lacs.

UP stream from Shakopee is where the dangerous factor comes into play. Running it in high water has its dangers but if you run it in high water do not let any comfort factor set in because once the water comes down it is a total different world on this stretch. Just drop it down to 10 mph or less, run it during the day and keep a close eye on the water. The one factor you can old on to is from green horn to old pro we have not lost any catters who fish these stretches as of yet that I know of.

There is fish around Shakopee but finding them is another story. Now where any stretch of the river turns white knuckle is when the fog sets in. Nothing like hugging the shore line while in pea-stink fog around Savage on the way downstream and finding a barge or a barge tie off only inches from your bow. shocked

Personally I would launch from 35w and go up-stream during the day hours to get a feel. Stay to the right/north bank for the first few miles and then just keep a good eye on your surroundings.

If you encounter any barges or tugs, even while they are maneuvering, they will give you the right of way until you are clear. It is best to have a VHF to communicate with them and as long as you hold to VHF protocol they will respect you as another commercial craft. Once they get to know you then tings can get really relaxed of the VHF. winkgrin

Here is some info on VHF and boating: Click Here

I always went by Shack1.

"The one factor you can hold on to is from green horn to old pro we have not lost any catters who fish these stretches as of yet that I know of."

Well, maybe he wasn't a 'catter', maybe it wasn't on this stretch. But I'll say it again- there's nothing more safe about the river than any lake out there. Respect.

Man missing on Minnesota River near New Ulm

Article by: MATT MCKINNEY , Star Tribune Updated: June 23, 2013 - 12:24 AM

Two in party swam to shore

A man went missing while kayaking the Minnesota River near New Ulm on Saturday evening, the Nicollet County Sheriff reported. The man, who was not identified, was with two others when their crafts overturned, according to the Sheriff Dave Lange.

Two of the kayakers made it to shore and called for help at 8:04 p.m. Emergency responders from Nicollet, Blue Earth and Brown counties, as well as the Courtland (Minn.) Fire Department, searched along the shore and by boat until sunset but found no trace of the man.

The search will continue at daybreak. The kayakers are from Watertown, S.D. The missing man was not wearing a life jacket, according to Lange.

Wow, I am a kayaker, and there is one thing that is 100% important, wear that life jacket! I never kayak or canoe with out a life jacket on.

And maybe not from this stretch of river, but up north we had Ed Carlson, backwater eddy, he died in June 2011, while shorefishing. He know the Red River of the north better than anyone. He died of an accidental drowning. Just shows haw dangerous a small river can be, someone with decades of experience.

That is the reason I dont feel safe fishing rivers or creeks alone, all it takes is one slip and with no one around and a little current.

Ed gave me many pointers on how to work the river up there, and was a wonderful resource for river fishing.